Register now to get rid of these ads!

Quick question: Will a Hydramatic trans from a '57 Cadillac fit in a '59?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Gas Giant, Jan 13, 2010.

1. Gas Giant

Gas Giant

I did a quick search but didn't see much.

Basically, a friend if mine has a '59 Cadillac, but the tranny is kinda screwed. I found a '57 Cadillac hydramatic tranny near me for sale that I was thinking about getting because I want the 365 attached to it for a project I will probably never get to.

I guess my basic questions are, will a '57 tranny meant for a 365 bolt to a '59 390? And will it cause any driveshaft length issues? (Meaning that the tailshafts of the two trannies are different lengths?)

Thanks, and I do apologize if this has been gone over a million times.

2. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Can't answer your question with certainty.........but.......I would sugggest you check on the WILCAP and Bendtsen's Transmission Adapters websites and see where the 'breaking point' is for their adapters by year model and that should give you a pretty good indication if the trans fits the engine. That may not be the end of the story if it is going into a stock chassis setup though. Overall length and starter application are two things that come to mind that need to be determined. But if it doesn't fit the engine, the rest doesn't matter anyway. Good luck.

Ray