Register now to get rid of these ads!

quick question everyone...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by fleetmaster, Jul 5, 2007.

1. fleetmaster

fleetmaster

hey, i am leaving the center divider on the windshield of my 47 chevy. apparently there's a rubber insert that mounts in the outer stainless piece with either studs or threaded nut type items. these are used to hold the divider to the window and the bar on the inside. i have the rubber insert but according to chevs of the 40s i need some things called "riv-nuts" to put on the rubber to mount the bar. i have no idea what these are or if this is even correct. if anyone has any advice on mounting this piece or can show me the parts/ method of mounting i would really appreciate it. thanks. fleet

2. squirrel

squirrel

our local Ace hardware sells one style of riv nuts. it's a round nut that when you tighten a bolt into it, it expands and locks in place.

3. fleetmaster

fleetmaster

so is that what it takes to mount it? i mean, was chevs of the 40s right?

4. squirrel

squirrel

I don't know if they're right or not...I'd have to look at the parts and see. There are rubber nut inserts, and rivet type inserts, maybe take the rubber part you have and go shopping to see what fits it?

5. tomcat46

tomcat46

This doesn't sound right to me.
    I modified the stainless trim piece off a '46 truck to work on my '46 sedan, so it might be different. But, mine had a steel strip with the riv nuts ( a nut plate) swaged into the stainless trim. No rubber piece. I carefully cut off the end of stainless trim and slipped out the steel piece with the riv nuts (nut plate), trimmed it to length and then slid the steel nut plate back in. The hole spacing was the same, so it worked fine.

Riv nuts press into steel, i dont know how you'd press them into rubber so they'd stay.

Another name for riv nuts is PEM nuts. check here to see what they lool like.
    http://www.pemnet.com/fastening_products/prod_desc.php3?cat=Fasteners+for+Sheetmetal

You might find them from mcmaster-carr. www.mcmaster.com

Also, be sure the screws you use to attach the stainless are not too long. Since they go from the inside out, you wont know you are denting out the stainless until it's too late:eek: . Learn from my mistake.

I checked the chevs of the 40s catalog and I see the rubber mounting channel, but thats not how I did it.

I hope that helps a little.

Tom

6. fleetmaster

fleetmaster

this is some great info guys. thanks. and see, i remember it being a metal strip with nut inserts also, but i can't find something like that anywhere and chevs of the 40s keeps telling me it's the rubber piece, but i don't see how the riv-nuts will work on that.