Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Quick question about thread sealer

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by '49 Ford Coupe, May 23, 2017.

1. Hey, guys... it's raining and I'm a few miles from the store... so what do ya'll think of using VersaChem Anti-Seize Thread Lubricant on water pump bolts for a thread sealer?.. that gold/copper looking stuff....

Thanks in advance

2. landseaandair

landseaandair
    from phoenix

I've always used good old RTV silicone, any flavor. Anti seize isn't meant to seal anything.

Racer29 and '49 Ford Coupe like this.
  3. This may be a dumb question but what does the rain have to do with your waterpump? I always use Teflon tape. It hasn't failed my yet.

4. 'Cause I don't want to get all wet hahaha

5. I use the Teflon in a tube. Trying to use the tape if my fingers get wet or greasy drives me nuts.

lothianwilly71 likes this.
  6. stimpy

stimpy

anti seize doesn't make a good thread sealer as its liquid and takes a long time for the carrier to harden if it ever does. use a teflon sealer thats made for liquids . I prefer the teflon paste as it has less chance of coming undone if wrapped wrong ( there) is a way to wrap it , or cracking thin castings , or plugging up stuff ( I am careful with the paste )

warbird1 likes this.
  7. I use an ARP product that works very well, forget the name off hand but it should be easy to find.

oj likes this.
  8. oldolds

oldolds

I never tried it, but was told to put the bolt in a plastic bag and thread it in with the plastic around it. It will not leak and has some locking action as well.. Always kept it in mind for an emergency.

31Vicky with a hemi likes this.
  9. Thanks everybody!

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  10. clem

clem

Wait for the rain to stop..........

11. [​IMG]

This stuff has given me good service with water pump bolts and coolant temp sensors.

Sorry about the pic size- posted from my ridiculous phone...

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  12. woodiewagon46

woodiewagon46
    from New York

Loctite makes several thread sealing products. Two that I have used in the past with excellent results are #569 Thread Sealant and for Pneumatic/Hydraulic Sealing, #545. Thread anti seize is not a sealant.

13. Okay, guys, it stopped raining so I'm headed to the store.

14. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

I also vote for Loctite lock & Seal. Works for me. It has always been my understanding that teflon tape is for tapered pipe threads. Does make a great anti seize.

Mark Roby likes this.