Register now to get rid of these ads!

Quick change rear end robustness!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bullington, Jun 7, 2007.

1. Bullington

Bullington
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Northwest HAMBers

What kind of HP/Torque can a quick change rear end handle? I would like to get an idea for an upcoming project.

-bull

2. flamedabone

flamedabone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

There is the old saying about never truely knowing the edge untill you go over it.

Hard to put a horse power # on a quickie. My Frankland quickie lives behind a blown Pontiac...
    [​IMG]

Full size QCs are pretty stout, big axles, giant ring gears. The only weak spot is the pinon support, but most of the newer cases have that problem solved.

What are you planning??

-Abone.

3. Depends what one you want? The Halibrand Champ will handle about any thing you can give it, the smaller v8 halibrand will handle a small block that is not built to burn nitro. I have seen them in lots of stuff with big engines but believe that is why its hard to find one that has not had something come apart in side. The champs are used in sprint cars along with Franklin centers. Parts are availible and you can buy one for very little scratch. The last one i was looking at was $500 bones and had been rebuilt recently and came with 6 sets of gears and all the stuff to run it. It was sunday and the guy wanted cash and would not take a check I told him to keep the axle till he got to the bank and that was no good either. So I left it and have found more just like it, Check the dirt track racing sites they always have sale listings. hope this is of some good.

4. Bullington

Bullington
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Northwest HAMBers

Thanks for the quick replies. Not planning a huge amount of ponies in front of one, but wanted to make sure it could be used.

Blown cadillac 346 flathead will be the power plant.

5. Shifty Shifterton

Shifty Shifterton

The only word of warning with the late model quickchanges is that 99% of what's for sale is rear discs only, you should be prepared to convert it to 9" ends and custom axles if you want drum brakes.

My 392-4speed car is going together with a winters fullsize.

6. Bullington

Bullington
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Northwest HAMBers

Thanks for heads up. I noticed that also. I have you checked out the Cyclone QC?

7. Offy

Offy

There are a lot of changes to be made to convert a sprint car rear to the street. The $500 for the used rear end is the cheap part. All you will use is the case, cover, gears and a few related internal parts. You'll need a differential, side bells, axels, tubes, brakes, bearings etc.. I'm about 1/2 way there in gathering parts for mine.

8. emiliedk

emiliedk
    from denmark

Blown cadillac 346 flathead will be the power plant.[/QUOTE]

i like that bullsac..i have a cyclone qc, and will be running a cad flat myself. i even have a italmeccanica that i have some plans for.
    i havent got the qc in place yet, but next vinter for sure! pm cyclonekevin for more info. the cook company have a cool story for sure. maybe kevin read this and give us the story
    please keep us updated!
    palle

Attached Files: