Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs Questions of 56 Caddy treadle-vac replacement

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by willowbilly3, Aug 2, 2015.

1. willowbilly3

willowbilly3
    Member Emeritus
    from Sturgis

Is there a more modern brake booster and master cylinder that any of you have used? I found a youtube video but it did't mention a parts source or number. thanks

2. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

I used a Master Power Brakes 7" booster on my '55 Cadillac and a Corvette master cylinder...but...I put it under the floor and kept the stock brake pedal...it works well...however, IF I were to do it again, I'd go with a Hydro-boost type booster...available on most late model Chevy trucks...

R-

"Hydro-boost power assist was introduced in 1973 by Bendix as an alternative to the vacuum booster. The hydro-boost uses the hydraulic pressure from the power steering system to provide the driver assist in applying the brakes. There are three reasons why a vehicle may be equipped with hydro-boost instead of a vacuum booster:
    1. There is no vacuum source available, as in diesel engines, or the vacuum source available is too weak to adequately supply a vacuum booster.
    2. There is limited space available for the power assist device.
    3. The vehicle requires more assist than is available from a vacuum booster.
    [​IMG]

Hydro-boost has been used on a variety of vehicles since its introduction and OEM applications presently include:

[​IMG]
    * 1996 and newer Cobras and all V8 Mustang;
    * Most 2500 and 3500 series GMC/Chevy trucks;
    * Dodge Ram equipped with Cummins turbo diesel;
    * Ford Super Duty series trucks equipped with Diesel; and
    * All Hummers – including the H2.

3. 2racer

2racer

4. willowbilly3

willowbilly3
    Member Emeritus
    from Sturgis

Thanks, I'll register there and poke around. And also I have thought about going hydroboost, probably need to go to a more modern saginaw pump I suppose. It's just an old beater that sat for 20+ years but got it running today and she's smooth as silk and the tranny seems to go right into gear, maybe worth getting the brakes up so it's drivable.
    [​IMG]

5. willowbilly3

willowbilly3
    Member Emeritus
    from Sturgis

I saw this conversion but he doesn't mention where he got it.

6. 2racer

2racer

7. d2_willys

d2_willys
    from Kansas

The treadlevac is a fairly reliable unit. I have one in my Lincoln Capri and other than rebuilding the master cylinder, it never has given me any problem. The power booster is very simple and trouble free. The master cylinder is not like your typical master cylinder. Most have primary and secondary cups, and these are the failure points. But the treadlevac master cylinder does not have a primary cup, only a secondary seal. It works on the DISPLACEMENT principle. As the the main rod enters more and more into the fluid well, the pressure builds up and applies to the wheel cylinders. There really isn't anything to go wrong.

Thought you might want to know.

8. willowbilly3

willowbilly3
    Member Emeritus
    from Sturgis

Mine is too grunged out to rebuild after setting 20+ years and a whole new (rebuilt) units seem to be in the $700 range.

9. willowbilly3

willowbilly3
    Member Emeritus
    from Sturgis

After looking closer, he did this with the engine out and I don't think the 8" unit will clear the power steering pump bracket. I think I'm going to try a 7" dual diaphragm off ebay and just go with a 60s Ford single mc for now, maybe update to a dual system after I get the old beater shook out a little. Or possible a hydrovac at some point.