Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Questions about water glass

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by unkamort, May 22, 2018.

1. unkamort

unkamort

Gentlemen: Even though I drained the water out of my 400m for the winter, when I moved the truck I found one of the new (2hrs run time) brass core plugs laying on the floor underneath. Naturally its the one under the engine mount so I haven't had a chance to get a good look yet. Another shows rusty seepage around the perimeter. My question is more in the long term. I read about water glass here but a search didn't turn up much besides the chemical name (sodium silicate) and a rather alarming story of a guy who couldn't get the heads off his Y-block after using it. I'v installed quite a few dish and cup style core plugs and this is the first 'comeback' I'v had. After the repair I'd like to use something to make sure it stays sealed up. Is this the product I want? If I can find it how much should I add to appx 1-1/2 gallon cooling system? Any experience you might have had would be valuable information to me right about now.

2. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

I wouldn't use the water glass except to seal alum castings..A core plug with permatex #2 should be fine..They do make copper coated steel expandable ones in case you don't have room for a good hammer swing, NAPA has them....

3. paleot

paleot
    from louisiana

I use blue devil I buy at napa best I have ever used

4. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

Anaerobic sealer is good stuff for this . Old permatex is good also . Just don’t do it dry

5. Never ever had a problem with Permatex. That's all I've used.

6. sunbeam

sunbeam

I have always used KW block sealer when installing core plugs and cylinder sleeves

7. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

I used water glass, sodium salicylate, egg keep, once many years ago; I don't even remember completely what for. I DID'T follow the accepted protocol of draining the cooling system, while still hot, and letting sit for a while. I left it in the cooling system, and blew a radiator hose later on. The water glass fused coolant went everywhere, and I wound up with a chalky, permanent stain everywhere under the hood. Chalk it up to the short cuts of youth. So, if you use it, drain the cooling system afterwards, and allow it to "cure". It did take care of the issue (?), the radiator, and not the head gaskets (?) like I originally thought. Seriously, it's really hard to clean up/off. There are some commercially available "stop leaks" that contain it, so read the ingredients and make-up, and instructions, very well ( ^^^ I believe the KD Block Sealer has it ^^^ ). That's all I've got. I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

unkamort likes this.
  8. I'm wondering if the latest freeze plugs are just enough different from all the other earlier manufactured ones you've installed to cause a problem. Just a couple thousands thinner gauge will change the overall dimensions after the stamp. Have y'all noticed that 2" tape is all 1.88" now?

There's some weird stuff going on with parts nowadays, let me tell ya.

9. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

Y’all??
    Is that Cleveland speak? :)
    I agree. Ever notice furnace filters are smaller than their advertised size??

10. unkamort

unkamort

Thanks for all replies. They were Dorman plugs as I recall so who knows. Seemed to go in as normal, I didn't measure anything. I'm sure I used aviation permatex. (always have) Never seen one just fall out of an empty system like that. Need to get in there and have a good look.

11. Must'a spent some time in Texas:D.

12. greybeard360

greybeard360

You drained the cooling system but not the block. The block would have been full of water which froze.

Next time... Put anti freeze in it or pull the drain plugs out of the block to get ALL of the water out. If you are lucky... The block didn't crack. Those were bad about cracking in the lifter valley.

13. Pittsburgh too, not Y'all but
    There it's Yu-uns :p:D

Depends on what part of Cleveland - it might be "all Y'all"

14. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

I understood him perfectly. of course my wife is from Texas and we're there on a regular basis. :D
    As far as water glass goes I'm not sure.
    I though it was something I put my drinks in. :D

Boryca likes this.
  15. Boryca

Boryca
    from Detroit

I've been using Indian Head lately in lieu of permatex. I've been trying to get away from silicone gasket sealant due to its corrosive properties. Indian Head on a brass or steel plug, with proper install has lasted me well on everything I've built in the last 8 years or so.