Register now to get rid of these ads!

Question, Wiring one wire Alternator, too many wires

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ccbb, May 16, 2011.

1. ccbb

ccbb

It's been several years since I semi-install an all black w/labels EZ or Painless wire kit into my project car and I'm trying to figure out how a few last wires connect.
    I have a Delco one wire alternator. I have two wires labeled Alternator Power and Alternator Excitor.
    I'm pretty sure I just cap off the excitor wire, but what about that Alternator Power wire? Is that the "one wire from ALT to Battery in around about way? Does that wire need power if not used?
    Or should I cap that off also and run a new singe #10 wire from ALT to Battery +? (battery kill switch).

I'm not running an AMP/volt meter gauge, but may hook up an charge idiot light. (might be my next question).

2. FalconMan

FalconMan
    from Minnesota

I believe you don't connect these two wires.

On a normal GM 3 wire alt, the exciter wire is in series with the idiot light to 12 V.

With a one wire alt. I believe you can only use a voltmeter, which is much better anyways.

Just connect a #10 or larger between the alt and battery and call it a day.

3. Engine man

Engine man
    from Wisconsin

The one wire alternator only needs one wire from the battery. I like to fuse it at the rating of the alternator or use a fusible link on at least a 6 ga wire.

4. darkk

darkk

I must be the brave one, (or maybe stupid) I don't think I've ever fused an alternator...Doesn't mean it isn't right, I just never used one.:D

5. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Is this a true 1 wire, or a 10/12SI that has the #1-#2 terminals also? If so, then you use a jumper from the batt. terminal to #2 also, and #1 goes to the volt meter, with other side of volt meter to a ground.

6. ccbb

ccbb

Should be a true one wire?
    Has a 1-2 at bottom but is capped off.

[​IMG]

7. Jerryinok

Jerryinok
    from Oklahoma

Mine is like that and I just ran a big wire from my starter sol, battery side(GM) to the lug on back of alt thats all it needs.

8. LostHope

LostHope

x2!

9. ccbb

ccbb

So I can just abandoned the Alt Power wire coming out of the harness?
    Will know soon enough, but rather have it as close to done right the first time...

Will add the new wire, Alt to Battery (or kill switch).

Last edited: Jun 17, 2011