Register now to get rid of these ads!

Question on Rad for Model A w/flatty

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by cball, May 22, 2008.

1. cball

cball

I need some help, who carries a radiator for a 1929 model A using a 29 model A grill shell and an 8ba flathead, that is a bolt in? Any help is much appreciated.

2. SlamCouver

SlamCouver
    from Brazil, IL

yeah its called a 66 mustang rad. should be around 50 bucks for a radiator shop to weld up some fittings.

3. You had better have one made up for your application...flatheads need more capacity than any damn Mustang radiator...size isnt everything!!!!

4. cball

cball

I was looking for something like the four core griffin for the 32 the is a bolt in and matches all mounting points and has the dual ports.

5. jetmek

jetmek

the 32 rad is narrower than a 29 besides taller. u mite be able to cobb it together. i had brassworks build one but it was pricy...just had a local shop scratch build one for a t shell for about 700

6. Ole don

Ole don

Portell Radiator, DeSoto Mo. 888-449-4103. He built the radiator for my roadster, it cools a 286 flatty very well in a sectioned A shell.

7. OLLIN

OLLIN

8. dv8

dv8

This comes up all the time, and someone always mentions the mustang radiator...and then a bunch of people that have never actually run one start bashing them, and saying how they won't work.

Here are the cars that me and MBL run with mustang radiators:

1926 roadster with a flathead- Used mustang radiator- totally ineffectual fan- no problems.

1929 truck with built to the hilt flatty- new mustang radiator- no problems, even one time when the fan pulley froze up it stayed cool.

1929 coupe with a hemi- new mustang radiator- no problems.

1926 sedan with Studebaker V8- new mustang radiator- no problems.

The radiators run about $135...it always cost me about $25 to have outlets added/moved...they are 3-core radiators that fit behind Model A, and '32 grillshells. They don't fit "perfectly", but when compared to $700+ radiators...they're close enough!

But...to say they won't cool a flathead?

They are designed to cool a V8 engine in a closed engine compartment, and run a pressurized cap. They work.

9. cball

cball

Thanks for the help, I wasn't looking for what would fit and work for a flathead in a model a, I appreciate the input though, but instead I was looking for a radiator that can be purchased complete and be bolted in and that fits a model a grill correctly. Thanks again for the help.

10. dv8

dv8

Thanks for the help, I wasn't looking for what would fit and work for a flathead in a model a, I appreciate the input though, but instead I was looking for a radiator that can be purchased complete and be bolted in and that fits a model a grill correctly. Thanks again for the help.

Uh....O.K.

I must have...read that question wrong?

11. Call Walker, they make them.

12. Crestliner

Crestliner

My 30 has a Walker and fits nicely.

13. cball

cball

Thanks, Walker builds them for AV8.. I will get in touch with them.

I really don't like to screw around when it comes to the radiator or driveline in general. I like everything to be built to the best it can be for my budget. A car you have to worry about overheating, is not a fun car to drive in my eyes.