Register now to get rid of these ads!

Question on making bell flare

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 1930ModelA, Aug 23, 2010.

1. 1930ModelA

1930ModelA
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Can someone help me or explain how to make a bell type flare on a piece of round tubing on the ends, the type of tubing I want to flare is about 1 inch in diameter. I just want it to add a finished edge, instead of just cutting the tube off and leaving it flat.

I understand how to do them on a piece of flat metal to add rigidity.

Thanks

2. HotRod31

HotRod31

I took an old pair of vise grips then welded a round bar to the bottom jaw & grinded the top jaw to a female. Stick it in the end of tube clamp spin repeat.

Later, Mark

3. Brad54

Brad54
    from Atl Ga

If you have a hydraulic press, get a piece of solid round stock, or heavy-wall tubing that's larger OD than the tube you want to flare.
    Grind a 45-degree bevel on the end of the round stock.
    Stand the up under your shop press, put your beveled round stock into the end of the tube, and press it down into the tube.
    Shown on my grinder is both the heavy-wall tubing being ground to a bevel (1/4-inch wall), and the finished piece after cutting it off the tube and hitting it with the belt polisher to clean it up.

-Brad

Attached Files:

4. pimpin paint

pimpin paint
    from so cal

Hey,

To make a flare at the end of a tube I'd draw a line around the end of the tube , say 1/4'' from its' end, if 1/4'' is how wide the flare is to be. Clamp the tube in a pipe vice (protect the tube from damage from the vice with tape or a rag) now take a General Purpose dolly or a Heel dolly and hold the dolly at the line. With a ball pien hammer, bump the flange alittle at a time whyle holding the dolly firmly at the line. Rotate your blows as you move the dolly, and don't go for a full 45 degree all at once, but sneek up on it, one bump at a time. Two, three passes completly around the tube "should" yield a pretty good flare "if" you took your time and were careful!
    Ya may have to clean it up with a file or sander-

" Do not be to quick to drink the Kool-Aid "

5. Take it to your local friendly muffler shop, they can put it in their Huth swedger and in about 10 seconds, it's done

6. 19Fordy

19Fordy

Hey Nick, Once again, HAMBERS to the rescue.

7. 1930ModelA

1930ModelA
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I agree Jim,

Thanks a lot guys this will give me a good start.

8. Black Primer

Black Primer

Brad, excellent little tool you made. Looks like it works fine too.