Register now to get rid of these ads!

Question on 34 Banjo rear.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Spitfire1776, Jun 10, 2005.

1. Spitfire1776

Spitfire1776
    from York, PA

.....I want to move the springs from behind the axle to in front of the axle. One thought I had was disconnect the axle housing at the center and rotate it 180. Reconnect the rad arms on top of the axle. I know the mounts will now be on the bottom hemisphere, but I don't think that would be hard to work with. Reasons this wouldn't work? Other suggestions? Keep in mind I'm working this as low budget as I can. So far between the frame, drivetrain, axle (front and rear), I'm $75 in.

2. redbeard

redbeard

You might take another look at the spring hangers on that
    rear end, if it is a 34 it would have had a curved rear spring
    (looking down on it). so I think the spring hangers have an
    angle to them, it doesn't mean you can't use it, just you need to be aware of it.

As far as changing spring from rear to front, I beleive our own Mild Mitch did this on a banjo by switching the axle housing bells side to side, not rotating. It should work in
    theory everything centered on a banjo. This would involve
    removing the bells from the banjo center section and then
    reattaching the left on the right and vise versa.

Unless you are using the stock torque tube driveline, I would not use the stock rear radius rods to locate the rear
    end. there are alot of good solutions for locating rears in the archives.

Hope this helps
    good luck

3. rodrelic

rodrelic

"37ish axle, the A spring has the arch needed for clearance. The stock spring allowed about 4" over the torque tube, but too soft and was going to bottom out. Aren't the '34 some kind if oddball angle on the shackles? At any rate, not only turn the housings 180 but swap sides so the shackles will have free travel, as the 180 rotation will result in a reach-under situation as opposed to a reach over on the stock mount. Clear as mud? have more photos if interested. I believe the look is worth the hassle.
    Photo from last week:

http://www.directimagehost.com/is.php?i=102088&img=DSC02465.JPG
    last year
    http://www.directimagehost.com/is.php?i=83682&img=DSC01810.JPG

4. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

5. Spitfire1776

Spitfire1776
    from York, PA

Talk about the obvious staring you in the face. Sometimes I think about things too much. Switching sides would be perfect, and much easier.

Its mating up to a Z'd T frame, and I was actually thinking about using half springs on each side, too maybe avoid the curved spring problem. That hasn't been worked out yet.

6. Spitfire1776

Spitfire1776
    from York, PA