Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Question For You Southern Folks

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Flat Six Fix, Jul 3, 2020.

1. Shutter Speed

Shutter Speed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If you’re insulated, cross-ventilation... fan-assisted intake at ground level on shady side, and powered exhaust as high as possible opposite end of shop. (Attention to prevailing breezes can help).

IF security’s not a factor, throw all doors wide open during cooler nights. Shut em when it gets hotter outside than in, and turn on the fans.

Still too hot? Adjust your schedule. (In East Central Brrmont, we get maybe a week of killer heat...fairly painless)

Flat Six Fix and Desoto291Hemi like this.
  2. Arkansas River Valley, on the western end of it. This particular area where I live has the Boston Mountains to the North, and whatever range Mt Magazine is in to the south. It's like a puddle of humidity with temps in the 90s, how do I stand it?

I don't.

Unless I get to go swimmin' in one of the creeks (I guess technically they're rivers, the Mulberry, Buffalo, etc) north of here...when I absolutely HAVE to work on something out in this sample of Hell on Earth, I have one of those metal air circulator fans and 5 gallons of ice water nearby. Still only good for about an hour or so before I stop sweating and know it's an omen to get my ancient butt indoors before I have a repeat of something I'd rather not talk about.

I need to win the lotto so I can have a climate controlled garage lol!

3. Flat Six Fix

Flat Six Fix

64 early this morning and 68 now, 72 inside the hotrod barn. Sry westerly flow from Alberta. Today 77 and much drier
    It feels so pleasant like this.
    Hot and humid in a few days.

Attached Files:

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  4. I will be out your way in about a month! Can’t happen soon enough.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Boneyard51 and Tman like this.
  5. 210superair

210superair
    from Michigan

Another souther Michigan guy. Hotter than hades here all week. I did work in the garage a little this week, but waited till the sun went down to work. Fridge full of cold beer helped too.

I also have one ultimate cheat. I live lake front. So after working, a nice boat ride and dip in the lake with the family cools like no other...

6. LAROKE

LAROKE

I'm in South Florida. From my shop log back in March -

March 24th 2020 South Florida's broiling summer is approaching and I'm looking for ways to mitigate the effects in the BillyBob Shop. I hadn't given much thought to a dehumidifier because the shop is not insulated and the two 12' x 12' overhead doors are big air leaks. There is a 24" diameter hole up high in the rear wall with a broken fan in it as well.

My friend, Dave Sexton, has a free-standing shop comparable to the BillyBob Shop and he reports that a dehumidifier drys it considerably, making it more comfortable for summer work. Based on Dave's report, I purchased a heavy-duty dehumidifier. I got one rated for double the area of the BillyBob Shop because of the sixteen foot ceiling height.

Set it up in the BillyBob Shop over the weekend and started it up. Within three hours, the humidity had dropped from 58% to 46% and the water container had topped out at 1.8 gallons, at which point, it turned itself off.

The next day, I searched the shop and found a garden hose I had originally gotten, way back, to drain a water bed and hooked it up to the dehumidifier to provide continuous drainage. It's running continuously now. Lowest observed humidity in the shop has been 42% thus far. I can feel a difference and it's too early to tell, but I believe it's relieving the heat rash on my forearms somewhat.

[​IMG]

Well, it's July now and, even with the current heat wave, I can get some work done every day. I run the dehumidifier while I'm away at the office, come to the shop, eat my supper and sleep until about one am. Then I work out in the shop for a few hours before heading back to the office.

PS: My heat rash is gone too.

pitman, Flat Six Fix and Boneyard51 like this.
  7. Gman0046

Gman0046

In the South lots of us have dehumidifiers in our houses. In Kentucky with the A/C our basement gets a little damp. We run a dehumidifier 24 hours a day. Like LAROKE we run a hose into a drain as well.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2020
    Flat Six Fix and LAROKE like this.
  8. northern Illinois here; been a long hot spell here for over 3 strate weeks it's been 90+ degrees, some with high humidity, a few not so bad,...don't mind a few days or a week of this but this is rediculous,...Glory Days drags next week at Byron Dragway; was hoping for a break in the weather but doesn't look like it rite now. ...last year a heat wave hit Glory Days, took all the fun out of the event.
    ...here's hoping better days are ahead for all. stay safe...this pandemic is bad enuf without this kinda heat.

Flat Six Fix likes this.
  9. It's so hot here the trees are following the dogs. HRP

47ragtop, 56don, dan31 and 2 others like this.
  10. I grew up without AC. Been working in the Bama sun for a long time.
    is there another way?
    Just drink lots of ice water and hit the shade ever now and then, stop if you get tunnel vision or start to get chills

11. Busted Knuckles

Busted Knuckles

Start work early, hit the AC doing inside house stuff then work once the sun goes down.
    In my teens I didn't think anything of being out on a steel deck of a CG cutter/ tender for 12 + hours a day doing LE or heat and beats. My 20s and 30s were spent fishing in the summers down in the same waters off of PR and the Caribbean, HOT as can be and dead calm. Now in may later 40s I cant even think about working all day in that heat. Someday I will have a place with an air conditioned garage, for now I just dream of my Buick having AC!

Flat Six Fix and LAROKE like this.
  12. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I can't handle the heat anymore like I did when I was younger. Climbed poles all day in 105-110 degrees as a Lineman for many years. At 77 no thx. It can get well over 100 here a lot of the time but s few years ago we put heat and air in the garage. What a lifesaver. Turn it on-wait 1/2 hr and all good-same when it's cold.

Flat Six Fix and hillbilly like this.
  13. 57tailgater

57tailgater
    from Georgia

Grew up in northeast Indiana where it would drop well below 0 degrees F in the winter and would also have some hot and humid times in the summer. Been here in middle Georgia for about 5 years and it gets hot and humid. Shade makes a big difference as the sun is noticeably more intense. I try to stay hydrated and not go in and out of the a/c much when I am working on something too.

Flat Six Fix likes this.
  14. I was a walking mailman in Alabama for nearly 30 years outside. That acclimatizes a person to the weather changes, hot and cold. I am going to test my resolve today as I go bush hogging in 103 heat index temps. Being retired for a while has taken the toughness out of me. I may come home early...o_O

15. brianf31

brianf31
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Right on. The fan makes it tolerable until you have to turn it off to weld.

Desoto291Hemi likes this.
  16. It was 101 at 7 pm here in Dallas as I put the finishing touches on the 392 Hemi crate I built for a motor going up north to Wisconsin in the driveway......checked the temp 3 times as it didn't feel all to bad......

Flat Six Fix and Desoto291Hemi like this.
  17. sunbeam

sunbeam

Out side work day 4:30 to 10:00 AM

Flat Six Fix likes this.