Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest Question for those with cars under the age of 25!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by farmergal, Dec 27, 2011.

1. farmergal

farmergal
    from somewhere

Hey HAMB young'ns

I'm wondering what you guys do for insurance on your "classic" rides. I'm trying to get Grundy insurance on my antique jeep but they wont insure me because i'm under age 25 and the jeep is in my name. It has Geico insurance right now but they charge me an arm and a leg for insurance, etc on it. I'm trying to get it transfered to antique plates and antique insurance right now (to save money) but the insurance is proving to be an issue since i'm only 23. Its a beautiful Jeep (although not HAMB friendly) and regular insurance just isnt going to cut it for me because the jeep is worth a lot more than what GEICO is willing to insure it for just based off of year and model.

So how do you guys insure your antique/rods and be under age 25?

Ideas? suggestions?

2. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm way over 25 but I'd say start shopping various insurance companies. When I insured the 48 with State Farm the agent sold me a Stated value policy on it for a reasonable cost. The collector/antique plates will limit when, where and how you can drive it unless it is truly a collector/hobbiest car that only gets driven for pleasure. You do have another vehicle that is your daily driver go to work vehicle?

3. I know that no one wants to hear this but when I was under the age of 25 if I insured anything I owned it was PLPD only. Then I just tried not to have a wreck that was my fault.

Our old cars wete not worth much back then in todays society if I did that I would have the appraised value of the car prior to being in a collision. That way if the other guys insurance company tried to low ball me I could drop it on them.

4. caseyscustoms

caseyscustoms
    BANNED
    from st.joe, MO

progressive insurance on my 40 chevy truck is like 22 bucks a month. and thats with the truck covered up to 20 grand. i do use progressive on 2 other cars though some im sure its discounted some becuase of that. check them out though its always been cheaper than anywhere else when ive looked. im 25 btw and it was the same price when i was 24

5. shocker998md

shocker998md

I use USAA but I think only military or military dependents can use it. Im 23 and all my stuff with with them including my old stuff.

I know they also work with progressive for some things so maybe try them out.

6. I was never able to get "classic" insurance on my cars before 25 either....28 now. What I ended up doing is getting an appraisal on the vehicle and insuring it regularly. With the appraisal I got coverage for the appraised amount of the vehicle. Yes, it was a more expensive about $50 a month from ages 22-25 vs $200 a year I pay now.( I call it youth tax) But it was the only way I could get it covered for what it was worth.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2011
  7. brad chevy

brad chevy

Same deal here in Fla,if you are under 25 insurance is crazy. Put my 22 year old son's car on my policy or he couldn't afford to drive it. When you get real old you are classified a risk and when you're young you are too.

8. yep yep sorry man not too much help from me im 24 but all mine is on usaa due to military but shop around man there are plenty of companies out there

9. schpud

schpud
    from ME

I just set mine up online with progressive. I'm 21 with a good record. For my 63 Rambler it's $120 for 6 months. That's with no coverage the car itself though. When I get some more money saved up I'll get some maybe, but the car was cheap enough I'll risk it for now.

Same with my motorcycle insurance, the other big companies were all like 3x what Progressive was quoting me.

10. davidbistolas

davidbistolas

Woah woah woah woah woah woah woah woah woah. Wait the fyxk a minute.

$22 a month?
    $50 a month?
    $200.00 a year?

Seriously? What does that cover exactly?

I'm paying $1700.00 a year for both o/t cars- and that's JUST MINIMUM LIABILITY coverage. No collision, no theft, no fire, act of dog. Just the frigging liability. Clean record, and I'm 40 years old.

My current policy underwriter won't even touch my '51 (not road worth yet so I'll shop the entire policy around when it's done).

You yanks don't know how good you have it.

11. PhilJohnson

PhilJohnson

Ouch!!! Before I managed to get a couple of tickets and get in an accident I was paying 70 bucks liability only every 6 months for my 63 Rambler. I was 25 at the time. Unfortunately it's went way up, now 150 bucks for six months but still not near as bad as what you pay.

12. Master of None

Master of None

Well, I'm now over 25...28 now but I have all my cars and trucks insured through State Farm. I have a 67 Fairlane had a 75 trans Am, and my 34 truck all with full coverage. I also have the house and my 2 O/T cars and my life insurance through them too. The more stuff you have the more you save. My last monthly bill was $135. I also have a clean driving record and I don't have a SR22 requirement.

13. toolman1967

toolman1967

I have a 17 year old son that is building a 49 F1. He is on the title as Co-owner with me and I insure it under my insurance.He pays 12 dollars a month right now for full coverage as a classic vehicle through State Farm. We had an appraisal done on my 41 to insure it at agreed upon fair value and plan on doing the same on his after it is finished. This might not help you with your issue but someone else may benefit from how we insured Mikes truck. My son obviously pays quite a bit more on his daily driver but at least the classics are not eating us alive in insurance.

14. tooljunkie

tooljunkie
    from manitoba

wow.my kid was paying 700/year for his snowmobile.
    57.00 a month for my 80 power wagon.
    i am getting the full merit discount too...you guys got it pretty good insurance wise.

15. farmergal

farmergal
    from somewhere

well in this great state of CT where taxes and everything else is through the roof.... we dont catch much breaks here so its nice to save money when you can :)

I dohave a daily driver wrangler. This jeep is mainly for leisure, show quality jeep

Thanks for all the great replies

16. I'm 23 and I couldn't find an insurer that would cover my truck at all. At least not until I'm 25.

Apparently, I'm not a risk in my 69 Firebird, but my 34 Ford hotrod with it's (at the time) 90 horsepower flathead would get me into way too much trouble...

I decided to take the truck apart and rebuild it with way more power. It'll be done when I'm 25... hopefully.

I think they're just talking about coverage for the 'extra' cars... It's relatively cheap to add extra vehicles to an existing policy. Once there is more cars than drivers registered to a household (mine has 3 drivers, 5 cars) the extra cars are only like $50-$70 a month.

17. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

Try Sneed, Robinson and Gerber out of TN. I think they have a toll free number. They have a special "Show Machine" policy for cars that aren't exactly streetrods but aren't daily drivers either. I had my '90 Corvete insured with them for years AND got hit in my Corvettte and they were fine to work with. NOt sure what their minimum age is but a quick phone call to find out won't hurt.

18. davidbistolas

davidbistolas

That would make sense. We've got 1 driver with a clean record, 2 plated cars. I think I'm being screwed. I'm already paid in full to June... I'll be shopping it around then!

19. Sheep Dip

Sheep Dip
    from Central Ca

Age 25 is pretty generic for all insurance company's to consider you a very strong liability...you gotta prove yourself, keep you nose clean and your rates will improve.

20. "T'RANTULA"

"T'RANTULA"
    from Ohio

Not gonna comment here :)

21. csimonds

csimonds

I just renewed my Haggerty policy this morning, $125 for the year on the 50 Buick. The Galaxie was the same price.
    Chuck