Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Question for the wagon guys

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by CG, Mar 21, 2015.

1. I'm just starting on the search for a wagon project (make and model don't matter). Been looking for a non runner, but complete wagon. I have tons of parts and pieces for the 67-72 Burbs, but finally decided I want a real wagon, not a truck.

My question is on the 9 passenger wagons. Do they all have the rear seat facing backwards? I'd prefer forward facing if there is such a thing. What year did they start offering 9 passenger? I had a 58 Ford wagon for awhile, but I let that go to a friend. I was told I could probably find a third seat for it, but I never got that far along.

Any help on 9 passenger wagon hunting (staying within the HAMB guidelines) would be appreciated.

2. theamcguy

theamcguy

Through 1956 all wagons had a front facing rear seat. In 1957 Chrysler models were the first to have a rear facing third seat. GM adopted the rear facing third seat in 1959-1971 and again in 1977. Not sure about Ford.

3. No room for third row seats in my 56 buick wagon.lol.Bruce. 003.JPG

4. Ford offered 8-9 passenger wagons continuously from the '40s well into the '70s (with the '49-51 'woody' models being the only 2-dr versions, and in '50-51 as an option). Most were a separate model with a different floorpan (not an 'option' on the 'regular' wagon) and only available in the full-size Fords, so don't look for a '60s Falcon or Fairlane version. Through '56 the rear seats faced forward, I believe they faced rearward after that due to the sleeker rooflines.

5. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Awe, go ahead and get one with rear facing seats! If you have kids, it builds character! They'll be the only kids of their generation to blow bloopers on the back glass to drivers behind them... And experience motion sickness... Character, I tells ya!

prewarcars4me likes this.
  6. A little correction is in order,Ford made 2 door wagons long after the 49-51 years....'52 thru 61 Ford built full size 2 door Ranch Wagons. HRP

7. We had rear facing seats in a Chrysler wagon when I was a kid. I always felt like I had to get my land legs back after riding backwards for hours to grandmas house.

We need the 9 passenger if we want to haul all the grand kids somewhere. Rear facing would probably work, but Id like to be able to see what the hooligans in the far back are up to lol

need louvers ? likes this.
  8. Mike VV

Mike VV
    from SoCal

Don't forget to look at the Studebaker wagons..!
    But they all just had two seats.
    Here's a couple for oddballs -
    The 54 and 55 2dr. wagons were just two year cars.
    The 64, 65 had sliding roofs, the rear section slid foward.

[​IMG]

Mike

9. Edsel offered a 9 passenger wagon in 58,59 and 60. HRP

10. Im down for nearly any wagon at all as long as I don't have to scrounge up hard to find pieces.

A two seat wagon though is out of the question. Can you imagine 7 grandkids and us two grandparents all piled in just two bench seats ... He's touching me! No I wasn't and on and on lol

11. oldcars.acadia

oldcars.acadia

Get em waay back !!! 60 airport.jpg

Bruce Fischer likes this.
  12. I wasn't saying that Ford didn't build 2-dr wagons; but the 8-9 passenger versions were only offered in the 4-dr versions except for the '49-51 models.

I've owned multiple '50s 2-dr Ford wagons... currently have a '56.

To tell the truth, if I was looking, I'd look for a mid-late 60s Ford or Mercury full-size. Roomy, two-way tailgate, and not as rare as the earlier cars (or with as many hard-to-find parts).

Last edited: Mar 21, 2015
  13. jetnow1

jetnow1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from CT
    1. A-D Truckers

I was one of 7 children- we had a 63 Fairlane wagon with a rear facing 3rd row seat. Learned to drive in
    that car- my mother had trouble backing it out of the garage so I used to back it out and pull it around
    front for her starting when I was about 11. Blew the engine (221 v8) when I was 16.

14. we had a Olds Vista Cruiser wagon growing up in Tacoma factory white with red interior... The rear facing back seat was fun ! waving at people . Still looking for a nice Vista Cruiser.I have now a original unrestored 51 Ford Woodie(fun), third seat faces forward, it's not fun as a adult to sit in.. No leg room.. didn't some of the later Ford wagons have a third seats but facing toward each other ?

15. The 52-54 Ford Country Squire was considered a 8 passenger wagon.

[​IMG]

The 60-61 Ford Country Squire was considered a 9 passenger wagon.HRP

[​IMG]

16. Roothawg

Roothawg

Here's a little bit of info for you. The 56 9 pass shares a rear floor pan and fuel tank with the Nomad. They are made from unobtanium, so keep that in mind when searching. I loved mine.

17. Later Mercury wagons (in the 70s) had sideways -face to face rear seats for the 9 passengers in the very rear area.

Dad had one.

Oldmics

stillrunners likes this.
  18. Ive actually seen quite a few late models (mid 60s and up) for sale, but I really want to keep it early 60's and older.

19. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

20. So the cool thing to do would be to build the 9 passenger 2 door wagon.

Like a 57 Ford using the foldaway 9 passenger rear seat and a split seat for the second seat to walk thru to the rear location.

I thought about doing it with my Edsel Roundup.

Oldmics

21. I know where there is a 59 Ford two door wagon that I really like. Ex fire chiefs car. I think trying to get a bunch of kids out of a two door wagon would be a little tough. Maybe if the back two got out the gate might work.

Id have to find a rear seat from a 9 passenger version, probably near impossible.

22. If a rear-facing seat was acceptable, you could use a 2-dr wagon. Ford used forward facing rear seats (until the two-way tailgate came out) and entry was through the rear seat door. The 'middle' seat was split and folded forward against the front seat back for entry; blocking right where you have to step in a 2-dr to get into the rear seat area. That's why these were all 4-drs...

You would still have to climb over the tailgate (although for kids that could be part of the 'fun'); maybe converting the window/gate to a 'hatch' by welding them together and hinging it off the roof could be an answer. Ford used a compact-design multi-piece folding seat in the 8 passenger Taurus/Sable wagons that could maybe be adapted.

23. I really love our 2 door Ranch wagon but on the occasion we have our older grandchildren or another couple in the wagon it is a PITA getting them in and out of the back seat.

With nine grand kids I wouldn't even consider a 2 door wagon. HRP

Last edited: Mar 22, 2015
  24. hotrod mike

hotrod mike

I have a 67 Olds Vista Cruiser 9 passenger and the third seat faces forward. It's currently for sale so PM me in you might be interested.

25. That sounds like a really cool wagon. 67 is my favorite year of the Olds "muscle car era" body style. Just a tad too new though.

26. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Nah, just let the ones in the far back go total "Lord of the Flies" back there... It'll sort itself all out. Character, again. Besides, it's best you DON'T know what they are up to.