Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Question for the tri 5 owners

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by leadfootloon, Jun 4, 2017.

Tags:
  1. So my dad wants to put a after market steering column in his 1955 belair. This car is still manual steering. The original one in the car is just done for and he wants it updated. So who has put them in and also whats the best column for the job.

2. squirrel

squirrel

you know the shaft that the steering wheel bolts to, is part of the steering box, right? If you want to change the column, but not the box, then you need to cut the shaft off.

The best column for the job, is an original one, in good condition. Are they that hard to find these days?

MAD 034 and brad2v like this.
  3. Mark Roby

Mark Roby

Ididit and Flaming River both make those I'm fairly certain

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. What Jim said is true, and I can add that uncut shaft/box assemblies are worth a few bucks on the open market. Danchuk has the bearings and small parts to rebuild your column.
    Ididit column in mine, wired with a GM turn/4 way flasher harness. Make sure you ask for the lower mount.

5. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

Stay away from the import columns (plastic parts in high stress/wear areas. Early Chev/GMC van columns, without the key on the column, are sought after, because they are probably the best without going aftermarket. Personally, rebuild the stock column; I've never had power assist in a Tri-Five, and have a hard time understanding why guys have to have it. I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

chevy57dude and belair like this.
  6. Only thing wrong with the mast jacket is the ears breaking on top. Otherwise it can all be repaired easily. Keep up with the shims under the shifter bell. If he's want power steering and tilt col then that's different. After market columns will place the wheel in a different position. No charge for that opinion.

7. Okay sounds good. I didn't notice that there is no rag joint. The box was rebuilt I thought it worked good but my 67 year old dad felt different about it. Thanks for the help I will take this to my pop and he can make the next play.

8. MAD 034

MAD 034
    from Washington

Another vote for a nice stock unit

9. JOECOOL

JOECOOL

I'm really old and I think mine steers pretty easy, depends on how wide the tires are I guess. Not trying to start anything but look at the " tri five forum " they have a ton of info on tri five modifications.

10. 55chevr

55chevr

I have a stock manual steering box, column and wheel. Not sure why power steering is important.
    Joe

11. He's not looking for power steering. He's had this car for over 30 years and thought he could improve on the column with all the aftermarket companys out there. But it seems we will just clean up what we have. Thanks everyone

12. Rebuild the stock column, and then go look for the "poor man's power steering" kit for one of these...

belair likes this.
  13. Hope you get your pops squared away in short order. Gotta keep him on the road! 56sedandelivery posted up the absolute hen's tooth van column. They're HARD to find!