Register now to get rid of these ads!

question for the sbc gurus

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by dirt, May 5, 2009.

1. dirt

dirt

i have a 283 sbc. here are the numbers
    block # on rear 3849852 # on front f0330dj date code c236
    heads both 3884520 one date code c236 the other c286 both have the powerpack triangle markings.

this is the first time i have ever looked into the numbers on a sbc. this is what i came up with, please tell me if im wrong or i didn't figure something out right.
    the motor and one head were made in the flint plant on march 23 1966 the other head was made on march 28 1966. im assuming the motor came off the assembly line as a powerpack motor since one head and the block were made the same day. so that would make it a 220hp motor right? is there anyway to tell what intake it came with from the factory? also would the motor have left the factory with the march 28th head or was that put on later and its just a coincidence that it was made 2 days after the block and other head?

2. those are the dates the heads and block was cast....not machined or assembled or installed in a car. i would guess both heads are original to the block. with production lead times i would assume it was quite some time before before any of them left the factory on a new car

march 23 1966 was a wednesday....march 28 was the following monday

3. squirrel

squirrel

The number stamped on the block for the assembly date is 03 30 which is March 30th, which would be appropriate for heads and block cast on the 26th-28th.

Intake would probably be the one for the 4GC Rochester 4bbl carb.

The engine is from a Chevelle.

4. dirt

dirt

thanks guys. i do have a couple more questions. it may be some dumb ones but here we go.
    this is the info i found on it.
    <table width="100%" border="1"><tbody><tr><td>[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]DJ [/FONT]</td> <td>[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]1966[/FONT]</td><td>[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]283 [/FONT]</td><td>[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Powerglide, A.I.R. [/FONT]</td><td>[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]-[/FONT]</td><td>[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]195 [/FONT]</td><td>[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]- [/FONT]</td><td>[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]A[/FONT]</td></tr></tbody></table>does the a.i.r. just mean the car came with air cond. or does it mean the powerglide is air cooled? or something else?

here is the block number info
    <table width="100%" border="0"><tbody><tr><td>1964-68</td><td>3849852</td><td>283</td><td>195</td><td>220</td><td>2</td><td>car & truck</td></tr></tbody></table>with the powerpack heads its 220hp and without them its 195hp right?

also my buddy is giving me a gm 2x4 intake with carbs(carters i think,i have not seen it yet) he said its off a late 50's early 60's vette. what cam should i run to get the full potential out of the carbs? or should i leave the stock grind cam in it? the motor is going in my 29 coupe and it will see alot of street driving and freeway miles. i dont want a radical cam, i just want it to run good and have some power when i need it.

once again sorry if these questions sound dumb, im just trying to learn a little something.

5. squirrel

squirrel

A I R is air injection reaction, aphabetese for "smog pump".

I guess it was a 2bbl (195 hp) engine, I looked in another book and it shows 4 different Chevelle 283s that year with 4bbl, but the DJ code is not one. I wonder why it has powerpack heads? interesting....they are the ones with the triangle on the ends? I thought they were only used 4bbl engines, but I guess not? The matching casting dates make it a pretty sure bet that the heads were installed on that engine at the factory.

So it should be a 2bbl engine by the suffux number, and a 4bbl by the heads, if they're really power packs..

A mild cam (215ish degrees at .050" lift) should work for what you plan to do, the dual quads will cause no end of grief getting them working right and keeping them working right, but you can't beat the look.

6. dirt

dirt

yep, they do have the triangles on the heads. maybe it was a special order motor or something? they did do that back then didn't they? i dont know why someone would though.