Register now to get rid of these ads!

Question for taildraggers........

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jeffrob, Feb 28, 2006.

1. jeffrob

jeffrob

What size tire/rim combo are you running?

I dropped my 57 wagon, 4" drop leaf's, 3" drop blocks, let the air out of the tires and still no go. Are you guys removing the blocks whenever you need a tire change etc?????? There's gotta be a trick!

2. Put a bottle jack or a scissors jack between the spring and the chassis.

or you may have to take the shock loose or both.

3. jeffrob

jeffrob

That's what I was afraid of........ good thing I got the wagon to carry all those extra tools when i go flat......

4. MichaelDorman

MichaelDorman

When I need to change out a rear tire, I have to put the rear up on stands and loosen the u-bolts and slide the rear over to get the clearance I need to get the tire out. Hey man, no one said being cool was easy ;)

5. cfish50chevy

cfish50chevy

Im looking into a different rim/tire combo also right now but I bagged mine with an 8in. C-Notch so I dont have that problem....allthough its damn close and I do have to let some air out to get it in! The bottle jack method works well...I did it on my slammed VW bus cause those rear wells are worse than American cars...there are almost no rear wells on a bus almost looks like a built in skirt! Good luck and be careful mine almost fell on me once!

6. jeffrob

jeffrob

7. MichaelDorman

MichaelDorman

8. sir

sir

looks like this...

9. jakdupkustoms

jakdupkustoms

i have to completely deflate my tire and disconect my shocks

10. carlos

carlos
    from ohio

If you dont have to jack up your car so you can get a jack under your car you aint low enough,cut fender well makes em easy:cool:

11. On my 40 merc i installed a pair of air shocks and have a little portable air compressor,i hook it up to the battery and pump up the shocks.This helps move the tire away from the frame for a little more clearance.Its not old school but it helps.

12. 54BOMB

54BOMB

This was topic was on here a while ago and some one had cut out the inner fender inside the trunk and had it cliped in so when they had to change the tire they unhooked the inner fender and pulled out the tire through the trunk. I did a search but I couldnt find the name of the thread. It looked like it would work good.

13. Johnny1290

Johnny1290

Cutting the trunk is a damn good idea! I really like the look of welded on skirts...but being able to change a tire has its merits too!:D

14. crash 51

crash 51
    from FTW,TEXAS

ive got a 51 ford sedan with 3" lowering springs, 4" blocks and firestone 670-15. it is murder changing a rear tire. i have found the only way to put the "new" tire on it is to deflate it, remove the brake drum, put the wheel on, lift it up, reach behind, put on brake drum, bolt wheel on, inflate tire. its not the easiest way, it is the only way. one option is to run a narrow rearend, reverse offset wheel combo. by doing this makes it way easy to get the wheel on. you dont have to get the wheel/tire over the brake drum.

15. oldskool55

oldskool55
    from socal

haha yeah i have to take the head off one jack then lift from under the wheel well by hand then slide the jack under with my foot. then jack it up alittle. then get the other jack with the head on it and jack it up the rest of the way.
    im glad i have couils out back sounds like i got it easy(er):D