Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Question for people with a lot of body work experience

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Mike VV, Aug 29, 2015.

1. Mike VV

Mike VV
    from SoCal

Unfortunately, I didn't see this until "after" I welded it...
    If you look closely, you'll notice that the Left, (drivers side) of the scoop opening is higher than the right side. It's still this way after the scoop was welded..!

Right now (not in this picture) I have a piece of 2x4 holding up the passenger side slightly higher than the drivers side. My idea is to just run a torch over it to heat both sides enough to let the pressure of the 2x4 to force the change in height.

Anyone have a good idea how to lower the drivers side while raising the passenger side ? The difference is mostly seen from about half way from back to front.

[​IMG]

Thanks for any good help.

Mike

2. caton462

caton462

Is this real thin sheet metal? What kind of lip is on it? Maybe install a quarter in rod brace to put tension on it.

3. The torch idea will work, however you need to have a "buck" instead of a 2x4 or you will create a crease (2). Round off the side of the 2x4 to match the curve of the scoop and then apply heat (however I would not use heat, I would take it off and re-bend it)

4. Mike VV

Mike VV
    from SoCal

caton -
    Don't know what you mean by "real thin" sheet metal. It's a piece of another hood, so as far as like metal, it's the same material as the hood.
    Yea, as of right now, there is no support at the opening (back of the scoop).

Rick -
    I've done the rounding of the 2x4 already. I could go further though.
    As far as taking the scoop off....that would REALLY ruin everything. Read that, "I didn't notice this until "after" I welded it".

Thanks

Mike

5. aaggie

aaggie

Mark the centerline of the scoop then level a 1 X 4 across the back and measure down from the board to the hood surface and make a template. When you make the template you will have a reference of how much you need to work the metal.

6. oj

oj

I wouldn't take a torch to heat anything, you'll cause more problems than solutions.
    Post up some pics of the welded product, I suspect you'll be doing a sizeable amout on metalworking to straighten the metal after welding, during that process you can move metal around quite a bit and shift the crown to even things up.

afaulk likes this.