Register now to get rid of these ads!

Question for Omaha HAMBers ??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by straightaxle65, Dec 19, 2011.

1. straightaxle65

straightaxle65

Back in the late 70s early 80s there was a guy named Don with a VW dragcar. It was black with Centerlines and said Dons auto repair or Dons foreign car repair on the side. He was from the Omaha area and raced at Thunder Valley in Marion, S.D. once in awhile. He was a nice old guy and that Bug was fast and showed a little light under the front wheels when he launched. Just curious if anyone remembers him? Is he still around?

Thanks

2. 37_chevy

37_chevy
    from Nebraska

I know who you're talking about. I bought some transaxles from him for my VW dragster. He was pretty old then and that's been 30 years ago. He was a nice guy. He'd have to be over 90 if he was still alive. I can't remember his last name. I think the name of the business was "Don's Automotive Machine Shop".

3. 37_chevy

37_chevy
    from Nebraska

Wasn't his last name something like Nikolich? I remember he said that VW would turn 11,000 RPM!

4. straightaxle65

straightaxle65

Not sure on the last name. 11,000 RPM.......WOW! I know it sounded like a nest of mad hornets. For some reason I thought he kinda looked like Grandpa Munster without the make-up. Your right about his age. He had to be about 60 back then. He would come to the drags with his wife and was always very nice to talk to. It always looked like he was enjoying himself.

5. JOECOOL

JOECOOL

I raced with him for a few years ,he had a shop off 84th street. I remember he drained all the transaxle fluids out at a NHRA points meet once to try to set a record. He didn't get the record. If I remember correctly he later built a Ply Arrow with a chevy 151 for an odball class but I never saw it run. I liked him Ok but he definatly listened to a different drummer.

6. dragsled

dragsled
    from Panama IA

His name was Don Nikolich I think he is still alive, Real nice guy haven't talked to him in years tho In the omaha phone book there is a Don Nikolich listed in Gretna