Register now to get rid of these ads!

Question for electrical rust removal gurus

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Morrisman, Oct 17, 2004.

1. Morrisman

Morrisman
    from England

I know there have been posts about rust removal by making electric doodahs in a bucket and such, but what would be the technicalities of putting together a bath large enough to sit a small car body in?

Maybe some concrete blocks with a tarp thrown over, about a foot tall, 5 wide by 8 feet long?

Would it need some monstrous current, or a giant anode, or several anodes?

I was wondering if I could build one to just sit my Morris bodyshell in and get all the rust out of the little hidden corners and closed spaces round the bottom edges. Maybe turn it on its various sides to get all the other shit out.

Any advice welcome [​IMG]

2. Morrisman

Morrisman
    from England

C,mon, somebody must have some ideas. I thought this would appeal to all the guys driving rust buckets out there.
    Oh, you LIKE 'em like that? Whoops [​IMG]

You could lay down doors, fenders, firewalls, etc, and have 'em nice and sparkly bare metal overnight.

3. Kustm52

Kustm52

4. Never tried anything that big.
    Works great on smaller items, just done a set of brake drums.
    There is only one way to find out, try it and let us know how it worked out.

5. ray

ray
    from colorado

"somebody", i don't remember if it was a hamber or not, used a large kiddie pool to do one side of a early pickup cab at a time. the toughest part would be moving the body around, you'd need to rinse real well the parts you just dipped, so that would mean lifting the body out, moving it to a clean up area, then back to the tank for another dip on a different side.

6. Rand Man

Rand Man

What type of liquid would be in the tank? The problem with making a tank so large is the volume of liquid weighs so much. You might look for an old above ground pool. You might get one for "free", but if you're filling that thing with acid I say your crazy. If it springs a leak it will be a gusher.

7. magnet

magnet

water with baking soda..

never tried anything that big.. will take a while to de-oxidize.. dont know what the impact of hydrogenization will be either..

worth a shot though

I did some horseshoes.. and a couple parts here and there.. never anything that wouldnt fit in a bucket though.

8. Morrisman

Morrisman
    from England

Kustm52,
    Some good information on those links, thanks.

I reckon a few experiments might be on their way sometime soon.

9. Elrod

Elrod

Baking soda is not the best powder to use because it's sodium BIcarbonate. The better powder to use is sodium Carbonate. It's more basic rather than acidic It's commonly used for increasing the pH in swiming pools, and is called called "pH Up" here in the states. It's supposedly also used for laundry detergent, but I couldn't find any that was just Sodium Carbonate. Read the bottles and get the right stuff. It will work better.

This technique is pretty much 'line of sight' so it would probably not gett all the nook and crannies that you desire it to.

10. I picked up a box of "Washing Soda" from Arm and Hammer and it is sodium Carbinate. I have been going to try the derusting for a year or so, but too many other projects that need to be done first.

Doug

11. Rand Man

Rand Man

I use "Spa-Up" in my hot tub. Now that I have more info, this sounds a lot better. Somebody point me to old threads or give us a run-down of the procedure. What PH do you need? How much amperage?

12. Morrisman

Morrisman
    from England

[ QUOTE ]
    This technique is pretty much 'line of sight' so it would probably not gett all the nook and crannies that you desire it to.

[/ QUOTE ]
    I've heard that mentioned a few times, and I was thinking of making up some sort of anode that has protection around it, so it can't touch the steel body. Maybe a length of round steel bar with plastic tube slipped over, but drilled with loads of holes. This could be slid inside boxed-in areas of bodywork, or even inside chassis tubing.

Whatdyareckon?

13. VespaJay

VespaJay