Register now to get rid of these ads!

Question - Aerostar spring swap in 52 Plymouth

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by don-vee, Jan 14, 2013.

1. I am planning on the Ford Aerostar spring swap in my 52 Plymouth, and I'm a little stumped. I was at the boneyard this past weekend, and noticed the 2wd Aerostar has different springs than the AWD ones. The 2wd ones have a bigger diameter. So, grabbed a tape measure, measured the diameters of both of them, and walked over to the old car section to measure the springs on a 49-52 Plymouth to make sure. Well, wouldn't you know it, the measurement for the Plymouth falls smack dab in the middle of the two Aerostar spring measurements.
    So, which one do I use? Anyone got a part number for the correct ones?

2. supervert

supervert

3. Excellent, thanks very much!
    Looks like it's the 2wd versions.

4. Squablow

Squablow

I was unaware that the Plymouth would even take Aerostar coils, they are a common swap into Ford products of the period but my guess is you'll be the first to put them in a Mopar.

Us Ford guys use the 2wd ones, new from Autozone for $60 a pair. No way would I be putting in worn out junkyard springs to save a couple dollars considering how cheap they are new.

5. Nah, I'm not the first, so I have other people to blame if it doesn't work out!
    All kidding aside, I popped them in this morning, and they fit perfect.
    And yeah, I hear ya about the junkyard springs. Most are a pain to take off in the first place, and I ran across a couple that were cracked. I decided to go with new ones. But, I'll do you one better...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/CC850-Moog-...Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr&hash=item257a0445de

These are what I went with. Found 'em on ebay, 35 bucks with free shipping, they arrived on my doorstep in 2 days, they're a good brand (Moog) and they're made in the USA! Score!

6. So how much did it lower your plymouth??? Now I'm wondering if I can use them in my 50 dodge... It's the Same basic frame...

7. I'll let you know as soon as it's sitting on the ground. Right now it's on jackstands, as I'm still waiting for my new hub bearings to come in.

8. Anything new on this?? If they work on plymouths I assume they'll work on dodges too...

9. supervert

supervert

i put mine in about 6 months ago and with them and the spring plates moved to the bottom of the a arm gets you this.

[​IMG]

10. ntxcustoms

ntxcustoms
    from dfw

Nice, I have some coming for my 39 Dodge hopefully they fit well. I moved my spring plates to the bottom of the arms to.

11. supervert

supervert

you will like the springs, they ride so much better than the old worn stockers. add the cherokee swaybar and its like a newer car.

i just need to address the stock steering, i have a assload of bumpsteer. i think im going to add a idler arm centerlink style setup. im not sure that i want to lose some steering from a rack setup

12. ntxcustoms

ntxcustoms
    from dfw

Ah, then you need my disk swap plate that is based on yourpc48's tech thread. I use the explorer disks too but i moved my steering arms one bolt hole forward on the spindle by extending the disk conversion plate. This gains
    back my steering with a cavalier rack.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

13. Clevername

Clevername

Very nice stance. Just curious, do you know what the spring rate is for the Moogs you got?

Kelvin

14. supervert

supervert

good call, i may try that instead. cavi rack would be cheaper than all the linkage. disc are on the board next for this thing. still trying to recover from the new stones on it

15. supervert

supervert

it says they are 605 lbs, but they are progressive so it may be a touch softer

16. And we are all talking about the same part number here right?? The CC850??

17. supervert

supervert

18. ntxcustoms

ntxcustoms
    from dfw

Supervert, what you wind up doing on the back end? I'm using 49-53 chevy truck front springs and shackles on the rear. One or two leaves out and it will be done without lowering blocks.

19. supervert

supervert

right now it has some 4" blocks, and its below the scrub radius. after i take care of the steering and brakes in the front i am going to re do the back with some links and coils on weight jacks

20. Inked Monkey

Inked Monkey

So it looks like these Aerostar springs will work in everything? Anyone put them in a Buick?

21. Lou. M

Lou. M

Or 63 Merc. comet ?