Register now to get rid of these ads!

Question about winches

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by bobj49f2, Nov 23, 2011.

1. tooljunkie

tooljunkie
    from manitoba

i just passed on an 8500 lb for 369.
    i have 5 winches,all for various jobs,a couple given to me, a couple bought cheap.
    i hav an old 1000 lb winch i use to hoist stuff,double the cable,and a small block chev and trans like nothing.
    i plan on putting one on my trailer,most likely a 4500 lb.the rating is for a max load on a 15 degree angle.seperate battery,wired through trailer connector with a 20 amp breaker to protect electrics on truck.

2. 38zephyr

38zephyr

4 Wheel parts has Smittybilt 8K lb. winches for $279 , I see them on ebay also . Seems great for the dough , mounting it this weekend on my tilt trailer . Heard good stuff about them .

3. 1gearhead

1gearhead

I've got a thirty-five year old wench that has a snatch you wouldn't believe.
    She only stands 5'2", but she is strong as hell!

4. I bought my 4500 lb winch at Advanced Auto parts for 150.00 and it's been working great, same winch is at Tractor Supply also.

5. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

We have a winner. Best advice yet if you intend to USE it.

Frank

6. slammed

slammed

I like all kinds of wenches, tall leggy super model types......oh, oopps Yes, go with a slightly bigger/stronger on than you may typically need for your application. Keep an eye on the 4x4 boards for a deal.

7. derpr

derpr

I have a atv winch on my trailer, I think its a 4K.

8. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

One thing to keep in mind when selecting a winch by load rating, the listed load rating is for the first wrap of the cable around the drum, after that, the rating drops.