Register now to get rid of these ads!

Question about Hot Rod Deluxe Magazine

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Comet, Dec 17, 2009.

1. Ok, I've sent Hot Rod e-mails, inquired at dealers, and even some questions to the HAMB (but on someone else's thread), but still not getting answers. So I'm starting a new thread in hopes fresh eyes will see it.
    Being in Japan, this magazine is a little hard to get, but slowly I've been collecting back issues.

What I'd like to know is what are all the issues available?

From what I understand they don't always publish them at the same cadence. I don't want to be driving myself crazy looking for an issue that doesn't exist. I know this response will take a little time, but if you magazine collectors could help me out, I would really appreciate it.:cool:

2. Kevinsrodshop

Kevinsrodshop

Their website says they publish quarterly.

3. Muttley

Muttley

I'm in the same boat. The only place around here I can find them is the 7-11 up the street, Walmart stopped carrying it. I'm missing at least one issue, can someone post scans of the complete set so I can figure out what I need?

4. strike a poser

strike a poser
    from Salinas,CA

5. chopt top kid

chopt top kid

6. Chandler

Chandler
    from Rowlett,TX

Auto zones in Texas has them. might try that

7. hammeredcoupe

hammeredcoupe
    from Tacoma,WA

I think I have all eleven issues.The first issue was SPRING '08. Then followed bi- monthly by may,july,sept,nov '08. then jan,mar,may july,sept,nov '09. Here's the covers: [​IMG]

8. Dan57

Dan57

the first issue was in '01 or something. it had a feature of mike ness' '54 chevy when it was still flat black. awesome car. i know they stopped making them for a while, but i don't know how many they had back then, when they stopped or when they started back up again. i wish i knew what i did with that first issue i had.

9. Hot Turkey

Hot Turkey

I'll have to go dig all mine out now.....

10. madpole

madpole

there were two issues the first time around. back in '99

11. joebuick

joebuick

from what I understand the original hot rod deluxe was bought by ol' skool rodz and is now car kulture deluxe the new hot rod deluxe is owned by hot rod magazine.

12. You can also get them through The Hot Rod company. Get all my issues through them, Alliance vendors, no shipping, discount, very fast delivery in stiff envelope! Easy, no hassles.-MIKE:cool:

http://www.thehotrodcompany.com/

13. sololobo

sololobo

Hey Comet, thought about you yesterday as I shipped three packages to Japan. My SoCal friends are not getting all the cool Pendelton shirts, as that was what I was shipping. I have a real cool preview of Hot Rod Deluxe tha I think was included in Hot Rod about 4 pages featuring the Burbank Choppers and an super neat story on Mike Ness showing his home and 54 Chevy and a bio on his great music outlook. Of course Mike Ness is the Social Distortion cat. Good luck on your search for more of this cool rag. Take care brother!! ~Sololobo~

14. Kerry67

Kerry67

Are there any cool Japanese magazine along the same lines ?

15. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

There was a little more to the story than that. It was out out by Hot Rod, then they canned it and Aaron. Maybe because he couldn't change his own oil without fucking up. Or pics of his penis on the internet. But anyway. Then he conned some people into doing it as CKD and I believe Zombie tried to help him. Zombie and his crew did a few issues before it went to the OSR crew. And not Hot Rod is back doing HRD. Kinda full circle. It makes me wonder if some of the old threads are still on here from the whole saga. I'm betting a lot fo them got lost in the great server crash of '01.

Lot's of stuff came out of the first two issues, like the term "rockstars with torque wrenches". To much fun is what we had...

16. zombie

zombie

zman is right. hrd did 2 issues, decided there wasnt enough money in it, so they squashed it. aaron quit his job with peterson of 15 years, and came to me and few other guys with the oppertunity to start a new magazine, ckd. we didnt know the first thing about a magazine, but we jumped in anyhow. we did it for 4 years, but we all had different ideas on the direction of the mag, and there was nobody running the business end so it struggled the whole 4 years. we had a general partnership which allowed 1 partner to speak for the other, so when ol skool rodz contacted me about selling them ckd, i turned them down, so they contacted my partner and he sold it out from underneath me. i never saw a dime. after they purchased ckd they contacted me about becoming the editor. by this time i was already screwed out of the business, so i figured what the hell. i told them that i was interested, but if they didnt hire me, i was going to start my own magazine. they passed and so my dad and i started rod and kulture a few months later. now that the traditional movement has grown, more companys see the dollar signs, and are deciding to jump on the band wagon, or jump back on the band wagon in hrd's case.

zombie

17. Shaggy

Shaggy
    from Sultan, WA

Great mag, and CKD was great too when it first came out, but went downhill especially after it got bought by OSR, that explains a lot. Keep up the good work!!!

18. I also remember that he couldn't change the oil on his caddy & he showed a pic of his dick on here, fortunately I didn't see it. Hence his nickname of Weiner boy. I also remember that he had CK Deluxe tattoed on his fingers.

19. zombie

zombie

thanks shaggy. aaron is now a mortgage broker, and wears rings on all 8 fingers.

20. 36C8

36C8

There was a lot of animosity for aaron back in the day on this board.
    I wrote and photographed the Tie-Rods feature in CKD #1, and just didn't get a good feeling from him, so I kinda left it at that.

21. Steve 38

Steve 38

Well I for one am glad they passed on you, because Rod & Kulture is by far a better mag (than ckd) in my opinion. I have every issue.........

22. Bud

Bud
    from Orange, CA

As has been pointed out, the first issue had the Burbank Choppers on the cover and an article on Ness. The second issue from 99 had Skinny Jeff's pickup and Jimmy White's model A on the cover and I believe an article on Roth and the art of Suzanne Williams (that may be the first issue, my memory is fading...). Shag also wrote a column for those first two mags. I can tell you this I have bought the last few issues of HRD and it is a great mag now.....

23. I have a march 09 i can send you if you want it. Maybe have some older ones floating around if you want them also.

24. That's very generous of you, thanks! I do happen to have the Mar. 09 though. Cheers!

25. Gator

Gator

Agreed -

That reminds me - got a call a few months back telling me there were some pics of me striping in 'Rod & Kulture' - man was I stoked - soon as I got it I flipped through it a couple of times and nada.

Turns out it was 'car kulture deluxe'. Still cool to have my work in the mag, but I gotta admit was dissapointed. :eek:

I do dig Hot Rod DeLuxe though, I wish they'd offer a sub.

26. I'm with Gator-I want a sub to this magazine! I'll admit that I haven't checked out all the current magazines out there pertaining to this madness,but the current HRD is way cool. At least the last two issues;now I need to find all the others-especially the one about three issues ago with the altered wheelbase articles. Anyone have a spare copy that they might want to sell?

27. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

"I think I have all eleven issues"

I lined up mine...found a couple you don't have, one or two I don't...this is murky, as earlies are not numbered or marked usefully and it is hard to tell what exactly is what. Will bring in my notes...forgottem today. Anybody else have more issues than shown?

28. Bruce, according that list of 11, Spring '08 was the first issue. I think that might be when HRD re-started after the initial go around. So it does not include the HRD that evolved into CK Deluxe. I think that's how I understand it, but that was one reason I started this thread was to understand all the issues. I'm not sure anyone has really answered that yet.

29. Katuna

Katuna
    from Clovis,Ca.

Muttley-The Vons on Herndon/Fowler and Kragens in Clovis carries them on a regular basis.

30. Ok, from what I know exists (because I have most of them) is the following:

Spring '08
    May '08
    July '08
    September '08
    November '08
    January '09
    March '09
    July '09
    November '09
    January '10

That is 10 issues. There are a couple holes in my collection since Spring '08. That includes May '09 and Sept. '09. I assume, but can't confirm that the May and Sept. '09 issues exist. If so, then that makes 12 issues since Spring '08.

Now for the stuff prior to Spring '08, can anyone fill in those gaps (and confirm the May/Sept '09)?