Register now to get rid of these ads!

Question about a famous B&W drag race photo?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by k-member, Apr 26, 2007.

1. k-member

k-member

I could not find a pic on the WWW. anywhere, but I know some of you know the pic I am asking about. It is a pic of a flagman starting a drag race that looks like he is jumping about 4 feet in the air, and on the right side of the photo there looks to be a heavily chopped and chaneled 32. The question I have is, does any one have any info on that car, the 32? It has a really good stance to it and I would love to know the history on it and see some more pics of that car as it just screams traditional hot rod.

2. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

3. squirrel

squirrel

that can't be it, because that deuce isn't channeled.

4. Barn Yard Chevy

Barn Yard Chevy

I Have these? (I know they aren't all Duces):

Attached Files:

5. k-member

k-member

No Sir, it's a Black and White photo where you can see the flagman in the middle of both cars. That's a good one, but the car in question in waaaay chopped. I can't beleive I can't find a pic on the net of it. Maybe it's not that famous, but I've seen it alot in my life time.

6. k-member

k-member

I wish I could remeber the car on the left, but it eludes me right now and I was at a friends place looking at it about a week ago. All I could do was stare at the 32. It may even be an A with a 32 windsheild suround, but I am thinking it's all 32 as it is and old photo and 32's where easier to come by back in the day.

7. Kevin Lee

Kevin Lee
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

I think I know the picture. SQUASHED Deuce 5W and no one really knows any history on the car. I have it at home... somewhere. And yeah, I don't remember too many other details because I'm always looking at that Deuce too.

8. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Was the other car perhaps a radical '35 Ford with sheetmetal grill full of holes??

9. k-member

k-member

Man, I can't remember, but that sounds about right. I also couln't really tell if it was a coupe or sedan. This thread got me thinking about it though....http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=175554

10. k-member

k-member

O Yeah, it has real tall skinny tires on it that come up to or over the belt line and it's fenderless of corse.

11. Kevin Lee

Kevin Lee
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Man, I really can't remember the other car. But I specifically remember that Deuce as being built much the way "no one really built them" back in the day.

12. the duke

the duke

i know the picture Its in the book "the all american Hot rod" i've got it at home but won't be there till late.

13. HotRodFreak

HotRodFreak

One famous photo of a flag start was the March 1957 cover of Life magazine. The articles inside told about the troublesome hot rod hooligans....back when hot rodders could still out run the cops.

14. murdercycles

murdercycles

This picture?
    [​IMG]
    Ray in CT

15. Kevin Lee

Kevin Lee
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

That's the one I'm thinking of. (though the one I have is better quality)

16. k-member

k-member

That looks like the one. Anyone know anything on that squashed thing. Would love to see more pics like a side veiw.

17. k-member

k-member

True, but let's see your pic. I really dig that thing.