Register now to get rid of these ads!

Question about a '57 Mercury...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 3blapcam, Apr 11, 2007.

1. 3blapcam

3blapcam

What V8 engine came in that car? I thought it'd be a Y Block, but the valve cover bolts are around the outside instead of down the middle... am I missing something or am I just ignorant about "later" Y Blocks?

Let me know...

Alec.

Attached Files:

2. notebooms

notebooms
    Alliance Member

maybe it's a later model.... i believe that the 1957 had a Y-Block in it. I do know for sure that in 1958 the Mercury's went to MEL motors (which would have "valve cover bolts around the outside")

-scott noteboom

3. 3blapcam

3blapcam

Honestly... I don't even know for sure it's a '57. I'm just going by what the guy who has it told me. I figured if I was wrong... someone would correct me.

4. That looks to be a 58. 383 and possibly 430 were in those.

5. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

The pic shows a 58, which could be had with 312, 383, and 430. The MEL engines (383, 430, 410, 462) were known as "second-generation" y-blocks, because they still had y-block style deep side skirts. Not a real popular engine

6. nobuckets

nobuckets
    from austin, tx

I looked at that same car - north of Austin, in a small town. The guy selling all these cars is a nice guy, but most everything he has left is picked over. He told me it was a 57, I got up there, saw it was a 58, motor is not really good, rear end is mostly gone. He has some other finds back in the woods if you can get em out.

7. Horsepower67

Horsepower67

What's he asking for it?

8. 3blapcam

3blapcam

Yes... Nobuckets that's correct. I was going out there for the shoeboxes he listed on craigslist and that one caught my eye b/c of the ram horn manifolds on it. He told me he only wants $250 for that Mercury... and if the manifolds would work for my Y block, then I'd consider buying it just for them, and reselling the hulk for whatever I could get for it.

If anyone is interested, I have the link to photos of the cars out there... but they're all pretty rough.

Alec.