Register now to get rid of these ads!

question about 35 truck spring perch, radius rod connection

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by bones35, Jan 3, 2004.

1. this 35 ford front end has the spring sittin in front ofthe axle instead of on top of it, with the rods runnin to the center. i was wondering if the perch was interchangeable with the 32 type to mount out side frame radius rods with the same spring or should i just use it like it is, the application is on a rat truck with spring mouted above the frame thanks Bones

2. The spring perch is interchangeable. You can use that axle with a spring-on-top/hairpin radius rod set up.

Question for you though, had the '35 front end been converted to juice brakes? If not, and you want to run a spring on top and radius rods rather than wishbones, you probably don't have much more than an axle there that you can use.

What kind of truck is this (other than "rat" - wonderful term you're using there BTW)? If it is a fat fendered model you might be able to fab a crossmember that would allow you to use the '35 axle/spring in front set up and then you could split the wishbone. You could probably pull it off on a fenderless model if you were careful.

JH

3. Roothawg

Roothawg

I used a 36 axle in the Fly and my T.
    Here's what ya do. Ya need to go to any rod supplier and get the model A spring pin perches designed for the lower shock mount. They are longer than the standard pins. You can mount the shock off the bottom if you run radius rods. If you retain the stock bones , these are the only pins that will be long enough. If ya have any questions, feel free to email me. I can post a pic if ya need one.

Root

4. Roothawg

Roothawg

If it's a 35-36 axle the spring should be in front of the axle ,also.

5. hey man the post below is correct this front end has the spring in front of the axel with the spring connected to the single piece radius rod, which runs to the center. im mounting the front end above the rails with cut off horns , i thought i might cut the radiuse rods at the back joint and bend them about four " from the perch to run on the outside of frame, but when i mocked up the front today it would have to be like 6" above the rails which is to high. it looks like the spring is taller and wider than a on top setup.

6. Roothawg

Roothawg

You're losing me man. Are you wanting it LOW or gasser style?

7. i mean rat like rat shit, no paint no rust removal. nasty ass rat shit. no fenders bed droped down aroun the frame, channeled dodge cab chopped 4". when i get some dig pic ill post them. think looks real sexy and cheap, kinda like the red distict when your drunk. Bones

8. ya i dont really know what the hell the official term is im new at the hot rods. is shines truck and the red 36 truck a gasser

9. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

If you can, try an old-school suicide front end. On my bucket, I split the bones (naturally), and welde some sring shackles behind the axle on the radius rods. Thus, the spring is now behind the axle allowing a custom (taller) spring perch without any frame interference from the axle. You just have to be careful of the caster angle of the axle when it's all assembled. Take your time and it will work out fine.

10. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

Well crap, that didn't work. And don't laugh at my tux!! It was my brother's wedding day!!

11. are those your arms, your pretty

12. Roothawg

Roothawg

How high do you want the truck to sit?

13. im wantin to go as low as possible, ive got a 400 ford to put in it, bu ya know like 4 to 6 inchs. is that to low?

14. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

Yes those are my arms. No that's not too low. What I was trying to show you is the 6 inche spring perch that myself and a good friend (better welder) made to get my crap low without a drop axle.

15. Roothawg

Roothawg

You could just use a dropped 4-6" axle and mount it in there where it is supposed to be....well if they ever put a 400M in a Chevy chassis with a dodge cab and a Ford axle.

16. ya this low budget with none of your rules i build bikesand this is not to anyones stantard or ment for resale. just to achieve that look and have some fun around town and at events. a drop axel is out of budget, steel and my time isnt, ya know what i mean. this thing is all junk yard

17. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

Your speakin my language. I'm a cheap (poor) ass from way back. Last century even. I really dig the Chopper wheelie in your intro. Kick ass bike. I like your build style.

18. thanks man have you ever read the horse backstreet chop mag. well that bike should be on the cover next mounths issue. ill need some help on some of the tricks in these rods bikes are bikes and rods are alot more rust Bones

19. hittin the sac

20. Flatheadpete:
    Can you post that pic again?
    It would be helpful.
    Thanks.

21. agreed i need to see that, my spring seems to be real tall

22. Roothawg

Roothawg

Go to my post on 35-40 Ford axle tech. It might help.