Register now to get rid of these ads!

quarter elliptic ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bcometfx, Mar 17, 2009.

1. Bcometfx

Bcometfx
    from NC Indiana

I am getting ready to set the rear end up in my truck and have a question. Has anybody ever set up a rear quarter ellptic and used the spring as the upper link. I have set up a few before with a 4 link.

Thanks guys.:D

2. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

25 years ago I cut a 40 front spring in half and built 1/4 ellptics on the rear of a deuce roadster using the spring as an upper link and a 4-bar lower link, also used a panard bar. Car has over a 150K on it and is still going strong. I have since done several chassis using the Posie rear 1/4 spring setup with ladder bars, also worked great.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2009
  3. You know, there was one pictured like that on here this week. Yes, it has been done a bit. Posies Model A pickup from a couple years back is done that way. Check out his website.

4. Weedburner 40

Weedburner 40

Dave Gale that used to own Just a Hobby years ago, built his deuce hiboy with that type of setup on both ends of the car. It worked great. I think there were some photos of that setup in one of Tex Smith's chassis books.

5. the-rodster

the-rodster

This month's (or maybe last month) Street Rodder mag had a good article about it.

Rich

6. Bcometfx

Bcometfx
    from NC Indiana

Thanks guys. The only thing that i am concernd about is axle wrap. I will have to check into the site and mags.

7. scottybaccus

scottybaccus

If the spring is on top, there can be no axle wrap. The top of the axle is trying to go over backward under power. It is always pulling on the top link and pushing on the bottom. Do it.

8. I got to thinking and Posies deal is 3/4 Elliptical

9. C. Montgomery

C. Montgomery

Mount it solid I assume? You wouldn't want a shackle correct?

10. scottybaccus

scottybaccus

11. I just hung up with Possies and even speedway and its on a 3 week backorder,Im using the set-up under the Piewagon from posies part #QK2.........TMAN its 1/4 elliptical according to the catalog

12. scottybaccus

scottybaccus

Search around the HAMB. A couple of people have used a normal leaf pack and cut it in half. You might also contact Zipper Motors. Daryl uses 1/4 springs on his modifieds and the price is right. (way cheaper that Posies') They have the correct rate for that type of car.

13. No I was thinking of the 3/4 Elliptical he did on the back of Thunder Road, that red A pickup with the Rousch engine. It used one of his qtr elliptical setups and a full set of elliptical springs underneath like many eary cars had.

14. thats makes sense

15. I love 1/4 eliphtics. In fact I may be addicted. If the spring would be ok as a 1/2 then it will be fine as a 1/4 too.
    Here is my latest creation with them . This is a front end of course but same basic idea.
    KS Pitman had 1/4s on his famous Willys as did many other racers back in the day when men were men and women were glad for it.

Attached Files:

16. Bcometfx

Bcometfx
    from NC Indiana

I used to run them on jeeps with a fourlink and love the ride. I will be mounting solid with out a shackle. I have a pair of springs out of a jeep comanche and if I cut them in half they are the perfect length. I wasn't sure with the arch in the leaves if there was any problems anyone has come acrossed. Thanks for helping me. I am gonna do it.:D