Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Quadrajet Identification

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by clarkoh, Aug 27, 2019.

1. clarkoh

clarkoh
    from Dallas, NC

I have a 67 GTO, 400 engine. The quadrajet has the number 8905 1902 stamped on the side. The choke linkage is not correct on this carb. The choke stove spring pulls in the wrong direction and keeps the choke open all the time. Does anyone recognize what carb is on this engine? It looks to be brand new, but is incorrect to work with the Pontiac style choke spring in manifold.

2. AHotRod

AHotRod

Last edited: Aug 27, 2019
    Hnstray likes this.
  3. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

http://www.carburetion.com/CarbNumber.asp?Number=1902
    Divorced choke Edelbrock Qjet clone for a 350/454 Chevy is what I am coming up with.
    http://www.carburetion.com/Rochester.asp
    Sneeking over across the street to a GTO forum (sometimes you have to cheat) I found this in answer to a 67 GTO 400 carb question.
    The factory assembled '67 Qjets #7027263 (manual trans) & 7027262 (T400 usage) were both made by Carter, & both were used on the 49 state app WT & YS 350 horse engines, as well as the 49 state WS & YZ coded 360hp HO engines, as well quite a few 428 B series engines. Have had many of these original ''67 Qjets over the years, & the primary throttle blades did not have the small bleed holes in them. Have several original RA application Qjets that have this feature, I do not have a numbered set of drill bits but would estimate the hole @ 1/16". Welcome to the site.

That was off this page that is a few years old https://www.gtoforum.com/f170/1967-gto-400-ho-carb-question-111162/

j-jock likes this.
  4. clarkoh

clarkoh
    from Dallas, NC

Makes sense now. Car is restored and carb looks new. The choke linkage isn't really compatible with the Pontiac "choke stove" deal. I will end up modifying it to work. Customer's car from an auction. Buyer beware! Cosmetically very nice!

Under the hood and dash, not so much.

Thanks! this forum and it's member rock.

Sent from my SGP561 using Tapatalk

5. carbking

carbking

The calibrations in that clone are totally incorrect for use on the Pontiac GTO engine. The clone is probably on the engine due to the scarcity and cost of the 1967 quadrajets. The clone is going to lose a lot in performance, at least on a Pontiac engine.

To add to the post above:

1967 GTO 400 Federal A/T 7027262
    1967 GTO 400 California A/T 7037262
    1967 GTO 400 Federal S/T 7027263
    1967 GTO 400 California S/T 7037263

These are Rochester part numbers. However any of the above could be produced either by Rochester or Carter. Carter made lots of quadrajets under license from GM for GM.

Additionally, Carter made aftermarket quadrajets that carry the typical Carter 4 digit number (followed by the letter "S").

The identification number on the ORIGINAL production 1967 quadrajets, both Rochester and Carter, is found on the dime-sized tag pressed into the pump side of the carburetor. And for those building "show" vehicles, the reproduction round tags being offered on ebay are just plain incorrect. The identification on service replacement quadrajets for 1967, as they were made after the mandate to stamp the identification number in 1968, would be stamped on the pump side of the carburetor bowl vertically.

Jon.

mgtstumpy, j-jock and Hnstray like this.
  6. clarkoh

clarkoh
    from Dallas, NC

Excellent info. Thanks. I will run this by the owner. Question: If we keep this Edlebrock carb, could we change jets/ metering rods to make it better? It does not run terribly now, other than choke not functioning at all.

7. carbking

carbking

I honestly do not know, as the clones are banned from our shop.

If it were an original quadrajet, produced either by Rochester or Carter, different style air jets (pressed-in) were used for Chevrolet versus Pontiac. I do not know how closely the clone followed the original calibrations. Also, the Chevrolet secondary rod hangers were significantly different than those used by Pontiac.

Of course, you could always suggest to the owner that he replace the Pontiac engine with a Chevrolet, then the carb calibrations would be closer! :p

Jon

mgtstumpy and j-jock like this.
  8. clarkoh

clarkoh
    from Dallas, NC

Thanks again, Jon. You are the MAN! Found a 7027262 in California for $1500! The right carb will have this GTO running better than ever.

9. carbking

carbking

Clark - while some on this forum that don't do collector stuff may question your sanity for paying that price; it is actually a good deal.

Well done!

The 7027262 and 7027263 were two of our top five best sellers; until we ran out of them!

Jon.

clarkoh and mgtstumpy like this.
  10. clarkoh

clarkoh
    from Dallas, NC

As a follow up, my customer is very pleased with getting the correct carb installed. The GTO is much better, starting and driving.
    We had one issue. When it warmed up, the throttle was sticking, until it was shut off. Seemed like having vacuum and a hot engine was the cause. I added a phenolic carb spacer and while installing it, I found the linkage on the passenger side was rubbing very slightly on the side of the manifold and the new spacer. With a little trimming and grinding,it's all good. It seems like the carb spacer (1/4") helps performance. Thanks, carbking.

AHotRod and tb33anda3rd like this.
  11. BJR

BJR

Power of the Hamb!

12. carbking

carbking

Clark - glad I was able to help.

And while none of us really think about selling our rides until forced to do so; having the correct carb will make your customer's car sell at a higher price plus it will significantly increase the universe of potential buyers.

Again, well done.

Jon.

clarkoh likes this.