Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Quadra-bog...."ahem"....I mean QuadraJet on a SBF

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 6sally6, Jul 22, 2018.

1. 6sally6

6sally6

Has any manufacture ever made an intake for a SBF that a QuadraJet carb would mount on...it?!
    (Is that a correct sentence??...I worry about such crap!!)
    Thanx in advance.

2. Never seen one.....

3. squirrel

squirrel

Holley Street Dominator...it's an older design, probably out of production, but if you google it you'll find a few pictures

302.jpg

4. Torana68

Torana68
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Australia

A Holley bolts right up to that

5. JeffB2

JeffB2
    from Phoenix,AZ

Offenhauser did in the Dual-Port very,very rare with the Quadrajet base. The Alliance Vendor Exeter Auto may have shown it in their online catalog at one time but they are no longer in business.

6. boltupal

boltupal
    from western ny

WHY??

LM14 likes this.
  7. carbking

carbking

Ford themselves did!

Lots of performance SBF sold in Australia with the Carter Thermoquad during the 1980's. The mounting footprint is basically the same.

Jon.

dogwalkin and j-jock like this.
  8. My 429 CobraJet came from the factory with a Q-Jet. Apparently was necessary to meet Calif emissions. Maybe they did something similar with a SBF.

9. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

A Rochester Q-jet, never heard about any Carters though it's been mentioned.
    I stumbled on that little tidbit on the internet years back, about fell out of my chair when I read it.
    By my memory it had something to do with Holley not being able to fill Fords order in the timeframe required for production.

10. Fordors

Fordors

Only the SCJ 429’s had the Holley installed, the base 429 CJ used the Q-jet and I think it was Rochester that had issues keeping up so Carter built a lot of Quadrajets under contract to GM.

11. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

:cool:

12. OLDSMAN

OLDSMAN
    BANNED

I never have seen a 429 with a quadrant but I remember them with an auto lite 4 barrel it looked similar to a Q-jet it was a spread bore just like a Q-jet

13. I had a 429 with a Quadrajet installed, and if I remember correctly, it had a tag on it that would signify that it was original.
    I can never access my Quadrajet book when I need it, but I believe it states in the book, that GM, Ford, and Chrysler, all used the Quadrajet in some of their models.
    Bob

14. I had a early 70's Lincoln Town Car with a 460 that had one. I may still have the intake here in the shed.

15. Deuces

Deuces

429 Cobra-Jet intake with a GM carb pictures....

image (53).jpg image (55).jpg image (54).jpg

Last edited: Jul 23, 2018
  16. carbking

carbking

My records up through and including 1974:

1970, 1971 Ford Mercury 429
    7040285, 7040286, 7040287, 7040288

There are 4 different numbers for A/T, S/T (Federal) and A/T, S/T (California)

I have no record of any Chrysler or Lincoln using a Q-Jet, but this may have occurred 1975 or newer, as I do not have those records in my database.

Ford used a Carter TQ on the 460 in 1974. These are quite scarce and quite in demand to replace the troublesome (because of ethanol) Autolite 4300.

I have no record of a DOMESTIC SFB using a Q-Jet or TQ, but lots of performance Australian SFB used the spread-bore Carter TQ.

Jon.

17. And that would have been Clevelands (ncluding 302.)

18. If you have the height, could you just use an adapter? Most times the adapter is to run a square flange carb on spread bore intake. But I think you could mount it essentially upside down and run spread bore carb on square flange intake? I'd have to look closer at an adapter to make sure, although in theory it should work I think.

19. greybeard360

greybeard360

My OT 85 Dodge van with 360 had a factory TQ.... Was only used one or two years just before they put injection on them.

20. carbking

carbking

The square->spread or spread->square adapters are NOT a good idea for performance, especially if one is using a stock intake.

Look at the intake Deuces pictured in post 16.

Basically, that Q-Jet was a 750 CFM (150 primary, and 600 secondary). Add an adapter with a 750 square-bore (375 primary, 375 secondary).

The manifold allows 150 primary, the square-bore carb allows 375 secondary. The combination has been reduced to 525 CFM from 750 CFM. Using an open manifold is not quite so bad, but still nowhere near the original flow. Definitely not the way to improve performance.

Jon.

Hnstray likes this.
  21. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'll go with Jon on this. I am still working on my "Quadrajet-on-a-flathead" project with an adapter on a Sharp 4-BBL intake. Look at how far apart the primary throttle bores are. The airflow has to come out of the primaries and make a pretty sharp turn before turning again and going down the manifold. Given the nature of my project, I'm not concerned about some restriction in the airflow, but if you're looking for maximum performance, it's probably not the best situation.

22. miker98038

miker98038
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

There’s a lot of interesting info here. But back to the OP. Why, other than you have a QJ on the shelf? I personally really like them in OEM applications, and had a friend who could tune them quite well. But why on a sbf when there’s a lot of other options. What’s the motor spec’s and how are you driving it?

X38 likes this.
  23. southcross2631

southcross2631

Why not ? A well setup Qjet is a fine carb. A spread bore adapter will bolt that on any holley bolt pattern intake. We used to run a cast iron bowtie intake with an adapter to bolt a Qjet on our round track cars. Qjet's were required by the rules on all GM cars.

24. corncobcoupe

corncobcoupe
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

25. 6sally6

6sally6

Thanx for the info guyz!
    I know I've never seen an intake (for SBF) with quadrajet bolt pattern.
    I don't know....I've always liked the small primary HUGE secondary design of the Quadrajet and think it would make a "hotted-up" Ford really "tell-the-news"! Since I have a bare spot scrubbed on the underside of my hood(from the hold-down-stud) I don't have any room for a spacer/adapter. I guess I COULD "run-with-my-stuff-stick'in-out"(no hood) but then I need to watch the weather forcast before I take off to a cruise!!!
    I'll just live with it awhile longer, I guess
    Thanx
    6sally6

26. corncobcoupe

corncobcoupe
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Deuces - check your private conversation message

( red envelope flag)