Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Quad Headlites on a Model A

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Hotrodhell35, Dec 26, 2012.

1. Dreddybear

Dreddybear

You dont have to tell me about style. I've been fortunate enough to ride in and even drive some pretty crazy show cars. Yeah they turn heads, and yeah it's cause they're cool, not really because they're pink cowboy boots on the beach. A better analogy would be avant garde at fashion week. Most people look at it and think that it's stupid and silly. Is that because its stupid and silly? Or because they don't know what they're looking at? You don't get to show at fashion week if you can't design. It's just that the designers have to have something that challenges them intellectually, you know? Because normal wearable style is kinda just boring to them and the limits have to get pushed before the rest of the world can see the benefit.

Please someone tell me they know what I'm saying! Or should I go crawl in a hole? Maybe it's all changed, I dunno. I see a thread that says "quad headlights on a model A" and I think "right on!", then I see a majority of the responses and I think "aww". It's a bummer man.

2. Rehpotsirhcj

Rehpotsirhcj
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Northwest HAMBers

The Family Truckster!
    Goes to show that good things can come from more of everything.

3. Hotrodhell35

Hotrodhell35

im doing them regardless. i like em. i just wanted some inspiration, ideas and some constructive criticism.

4. Hotrodhell35

Hotrodhell35

hahahaha oh man....

5. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Think canted quads:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    And this junker:
    [​IMG]

EVL401 likes this.
  6. Doctor Detroit

Doctor Detroit

Dreddybear,
    I know what you're saying, dude. We think alike. I'm a kustom guy first, and a hot rod guy second, but when someone is talking about a kustom hot rod... you've got my attention. Quad headlights on a Model A could look killer if done right. Personally, I think that stacking them vertical, or with a slight cant is they way to go. I think side by side doesn't flow right on a Model A.

Edit: As I was typing this, Gimpy posted excellent examples of what you should use for inspiration. I need to save all of those pictures for the future....

7. Hotrodhell35

Hotrodhell35

i love all those! but i think im going with 4 separate buckets.

8. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Make it work.

9. iammarvin

iammarvin
    BANNED
    from Tulare, Ca

Thank you for this.......I will now look at "Project Runway" in a whole new light.
    Make it work.....
    Sorry gimpy, a little slow.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2012
  10. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

11. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Man, just do whatever you want. It never fails that a thread asking for or hinting at opinions, ends with the OP doing what he wants. So, just do whatever you want.

Some people want to be different and fit in at the same time. Go for it. Then there's some that twist other peoples opinions and turn it into an insult. Whatever it is that you want to do, just do it.

And when that crowd at Fashion Week, who are designers themselves, see something and call it stupid.... it usually is.

12. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Thanks.:D

13. Hotrodhell35

Hotrodhell35

Hahahahahahahaha! Ive seen some talk about a thread with a gold flaked A with quad headlights from a couple years back, but i cant find anything... something about sunshine with your coffee??

14. Hotrodhell35

Hotrodhell35

i was never looking for opinions on whether or not i should do it. i am doing it. i just wasnt sure on the right headlamp. call me four-eyes i guess!

15. Opinions are like @$$holes, everyone, and especially HAMBers, have one I guess. This thread is literally on fire. If you can generate as much interest (positive & negative) from a teensy little question about your project from your luminary choice then id say that whatever you build eventually will garner just as much interest. Good work, keep it up.

I thought this was a joke car made for National Lampoons Vacation but its REAL!?! Jeeez

16. Doctor Detroit

Doctor Detroit

Attached Files:

EVL401 likes this.
  17. bonez

bonez
    from Slow lane

I know, totally feelin what youre sayin. Im happy that most people dont get it thou.

And while im here, that white coupè from ASS is incredible. Not a thing i dont like about it. A-ma-ZING!

18. Hotrodhell35

Hotrodhell35

amen.

19. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

They look like 5 3/4" lights to me Don

20. Ned Ludd

Ned Ludd

I wonder if there is coachbuilt precedent? All I can think of off the top of my head is Wills Sainte Claire:
    [​IMG]

21. Hotrodhell35

Hotrodhell35

Yea, Jimmy Shine used a set of those on this disgustingly clean 29 roadster...

[​IMG]

22. Hotrodhell35

Hotrodhell35

23. LaurieB

LaurieB

Beautiful!

24. olcurmdgeon

olcurmdgeon

Each to their own, said the old lady as she kissed the cow. One of the CA fiberglass outfits made and sold a chopped deuce grille with quad headlight openings. I believe it was a takeoff of Chilli's coupe that was on the record album. I had one at one time, was green fiberglass as I remember and later there was a guy who raced at NED who was repopping that particular nose piece.

25. propwash

propwash
    from Las Vegas

all these comments and no one has suggested that he check with his state DMV on headlight sizes and distances from the ground, separation, etc. Fed regs rule, but many states still in wrong century - requiring sealed beam lamps, etc. You really don't want to run afoul of the law. Make yourself familiar with the state statutes and then proceed.

26. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

In California, nothing is required to exceed the standards that existed at the time of manufacturing of the vehicle. Basically minimum quantity, and min-max height.

27. It is a prop from National Lampoon Vacation. It is built from a Ford Country Squire.

28. henryj429

henryj429

That and the fact that it is really useful to be able to drive 70mph at night without fear of death. I've reached my lifetime limit with pretty head lights that don't work worth a crap.

29. slick a&t

slick a&t

A few more example's.

Attached Files:

EVL401 likes this.
  30. Model T1

Model T1

Is it finished yet ? Some weird shit has come otta Illinois. Especially from the upper part. Don't even ask how I know!
    Many rods an customs have been built over the years that some people called ugly and odd. Nothing's been done that can't be undone.
    If we all thunk alike and dressed alike we'd drive a Prius and wear pink wadding boots like Don. ;)