Register now to get rid of these ads!

Putting Car away for the Winter

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Chopped32, Nov 14, 2013.

1. I put my car away for the winter and would like to pass along what I am using: it's called a carjacket and you can find it on www.carbag.com You won't have to worry about dust, moisture or pests getting into your ride. You drive on it and zipper it all around your car. I put a soft cover on mine first so I would get any cover rash.

Here is a link to a smokey burnout from september after some minor tuning:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o-BZNvwoXBQ

Attached Files:

2. I also picked up another tip years ago that Irish Spring soap works just as well as moth balls on the interior and trunk to keep the mice away without that terrible stench. I also stuff bounce sheets in all the nooks and crannies. So far (30 years) so good without any mice or other pests in my cars.

3. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

When you use the Irish Spring soap do all the Irish Spring girls jump out of the bag when you open it in the spring?

4. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Interesting, thanks for posting. Hmm, made of polyethylene. Makes me wonder if you couldn't just use hardware store polyethylene sheeting, drive onto it and pull it up around the card, tie it off on top like a trash bag. I have several rolls of the stuff...

5. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

One of these works pretty well too. My Son bought it for his bucket. Car stays exactly the way you put it away.

Don

[​IMG]

6. 48FordFanatic

48FordFanatic
    from Maine

I have to say that for some reason that picture hit me in the Funnybone. Almost fell out of the chair laughing. Is the trash can inside too ?? Just kidding

7. ewob53

ewob53
    from Minnesota

Bubble boy's hotrod

8. BOBCRMAN

BOBCRMAN
    from Holly

I got raccoons, they shred plastic sheet like an office shredder!:eek:

9. mashed

mashed
    from 4077th

Or you could just park it in the living room like Moriarity.

10. el Scotto

el Scotto
    from Tracy, CA

I put a car away for winter once.

It was the worst 15 minutes ever! :p

11. Man that was funny. I needed that today. Best Seinfeld episode ever.. Bubble Boy. I guess that makes me Bag Boy..

Last edited: Nov 20, 2013
  12. woodiewagon46

woodiewagon46
    from New York

There was an article in the newspaper about classic and collector car storage last week. They recommend "fogging" the engine before a long layup. Basically if I understand it, this "fogging" is poured thru the carb and it coats everything from the carb to the exhaust and prevents rust and promotes easy start up in the spring. Anybody ever use or hear of this?

13. I keep my Shoebox in one of those car bags too. I've done body work in the garage with the car in the bag. Looked like a bondo dust storm in there. Spring time came around opened up the bag the car is spotless.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

14. okiedokie

okiedokie
    from Ok

Sure am glad I get to drive both of mine lots in the winter also.

15. desotot

desotot

That cover sounds like a good idea,, but I love the smokey burnout.:D

16. voigtcjva

voigtcjva
    from london

I also stuff bounce sheets in all the nooks and crannies.[​IMG]

17. That would be AWESOME! Wife wouldn't like it much though......:rolleyes::)

18. Anyone else out there posting some good rubber burning videos? I'm missing my car already..

19. That was f*&^ING funny! Nice.

20. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Winter is when I do upgrades and changes to my cars, so hard to bag it and work on it!

21. I've always tried to keep driving mine in the winters, only on nice dry days. But not possible with open cars in real cold climates.

How about those boat-wrap systems? They even have a service for outdoor furniture, so wrapping a car is somewhere in between.

Bob

22. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

Fogging oil is in an aerosol form, kinda like WD40 but thicker. You run the engine, spray it down the carb intake for a few minutes then shut it off. You can additionally pull each plug and spray some down into the cylinders, then put the plugs back.

This is a common way boaters store their boats for the offseason, and you can get fogging oil at most boat dealers or places like West Marine. Lots of brands, like Starbrite, etc. It coats the insides of the engine with this thick oil that clings to the cylinder walls and other parts.

You may have some plug fouling when you first start it up after storage, but that will clean out quickly.

Don

23. Great tip. I wish I fogged it before I bagged it!

24. BIG-BRO

BIG-BRO

Someone mentioned boat shrinkwrap, so thought I'd post this. I had to store one of my projects outside for winter while in between house moves- i filled up the F100 panel truck with parts and had it wrapped ! Tarps never would have lasted. Actually about to go through it's second winter outside.

Attached Files:

25. Danshotrod

Danshotrod

I use Irish Spring shredded in dish cups and scatter around dryer pads. Seems to keep the mice out.

26. I also used to put trays of baking soda on my intake and in the interior and trunk to draw the moisture away from the shiny stuff. I'd rather smell irish spring and bounce sheets than moth balls any day.

BTW: the "carbag" comes with silica packs for the interior, engine and underneath so no more need for baking soda.