Register now to get rid of these ads!

push cars

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by BEBO, Jun 3, 2008.

1. BEBO

BEBO
    from LUFKIN, TX

say it's 1965 and i go buy a new chevy truck for a push car. what would i do to modify it? anything? pics of cool push cars and trucks would be cool to see if you got 'em.

2. James66g

James66g

DUDE!! This is what I am talkin about wagons and shop trucks! I am lookin for a Crew cab 65 0r 66 Ford to build my own version that fits both shop truck and push car styles. Cant wait to see the pics! cmon someone read my signiture and hook a brother up !

3. Von Dago

Von Dago
    from New Jersey

Replace front bumper with a 2x10. Done.

4. I'm thinking there wasn't much beyond a 2x12 bolted to the front bumper to make a push vehicle. Some had paint to match the racecar. edit: or a 2x10;)
    I'd love to see some though.

5. BEBO

BEBO
    from LUFKIN, TX

were they called anything else? you know to help search for pics and info.

6. TV

TV

Go to a trailer supply shop, and buy their kits for putting a square hitch on the front of a rec. vehicle. But buy two of them. Then also buy the part that slips into them that will accept a 2x12 as wide as the truck, get 2 of them. You can take it from here.{Get out the welder} bolting, and a good drill and wood bit. The holes are already in the brackets. Then put the name of your car on the door. Your done.--TV

7. I don't think they were taking too many pics of utility vehicles back then. Just a hunch. The ones I have seen are in the background of a racecar shot.

8. Yeah this has come up a few times, but usually doesn't last long...

I would like to see alot of pics though.

9. GREASEMONKEY72

GREASEMONKEY72

pics would be cool, but a shop truck with a steal/wood plate on the front and you have a push truck

10. KKustoms

KKustoms

Nealinca owns this GMC

Attached Files:

11. BEBO

BEBO
    from LUFKIN, TX

Here is what i found on google

34653754.PA021944.jpg

34654111.PA022235.jpg

Bergler-CF-5.jpg

lions_09.jpg

push-cars-4.jpg

push-cars.jpg

12. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

The reason you don't see too many pics of push trucks/cars is that in 1965 nobody gave half a crap about em. At the track, you would see waaay more trucks like these than any chopped, lowered, scalloped whizbang push vehicle.

Attached Files:

13. chaddilac

chaddilac

Here's one from the Stray Kat 500 several years ago... nice old bias plys cut up for the cushion on the push bar.

Attached Files:

14. Ole don

Ole don

The only pictures I have are in my mind, and no, I dont smoke anything. A new 65 Chev push truck would have been lowered all the way around, have a nice set of duals put on, and it money were no object, a new set of chrome reverse wheels with baby moons, and white walls. If any money were left, maybe a bit of pin stripping.

15. KING CHASSIS

KING CHASSIS

I have seen a photo of a 68 camaro SS 396 with a push bumper on the front. Gettin ready to make one for the front of my 65 Rivi. Try to have it done by Bowling Green but doubt it . I have alot on my plate right now.

16. oilslinger53

oilslinger53
    from covina CA

hang a tire on it

17. Jay Rush

Jay Rush

I saw a truck at a carshow one time with a n.o.s nixon political bumber sticker on it it just made it look like it was really from back in the day i think little things like that would make it look cool or old stickers from the race track on the window or bumber

18. The push truck bumpers I used to see all the time were simply one or two horizontal rows of tire tread bolted to a large board. Long ago it seemed as if just about everyone did it that way.

19. yekoms

yekoms

How about it's 1956,1957. Here's a couple from the Kansas City Nationals.

Attached Files:

20. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

Got the truck, need something to push!

MO54Frank likes this.
  21. Ramblur

Ramblur

Yep,we've really come a long way from being able to run your whole
    Fuel operation out of an open trailer and truck/Wagon....
    Or have we?:(

22. TERPU

TERPU

23. storm king

storm king

That nitrogeezers site has some awsome photos of cars and the push vehicles. Most of them are long roofs, though; as they were in the day.

24. Joshua Shaw

Joshua Shaw

I have pushed a bunch.. It killer, You gotta try it! Only a few things to know.

The NHRA has an actual "Regulation height" for the center of your push board. This keeps thing the same, so that if theres an Emergency and there is a dragster blocking the way ANY push truck can move it. Any one close... "Anybody can push anybody, for safety sake" No special ball and socket shit is allowed.

A smooth piece of 1/4" aluminum is best.. (no diamond plate) Wood is cool looking (and used in the past) but some cars have a 1" rounded pipe end sticking out. This can puncture through wood or the wood can grab it and "steer" the car side to side..

If you plan on pushing a Top Fuel bad ass car you need some horse power.. Older cars that might not be as Vicious as newer cars are not as bad. BUT, When we push the JADE GRENADE we have to push it 30 MPH. When we hit 30 we honk the horn and Don lets the clutch out. When he does, you better have your foot in it! It will damn near stop you! IT SO BAD ASS!!:D (the Michigander and Kuhl and Olsen's dragster were like this when I pushed them as well..)

ANOTHER THING TO REMEMBER!!! EVERYONE SHOULD DO THIS!!

WHen the car your pushing fires and pulls away from you.. If there is room, MOVE OVER to the left or right a car width.. So, If The dragster driver stops suddenly for any reason, You wont run over him if you can't stop as quick. (who knows why he might stop.. The rear end could lock up, the drive line could lock.. Hell, he could have a wasp in his gogles!! You gotta think about that shit!

I highly recomend pushing... next to driving the car, its as good as it gets!

If its your first time pushing and you get a car lined up at the track.. Ask the guy if he wants to try a practice run. MOST guys will appreciate the concern. A lot will say yeah.. (cause they are racers and look for ANY opportunity to fire there cars!:D) Tell the track guys whats going on.. they will direct you to the end of the tracks return road.. and HAVE AT IT!

See ya'll in Bowling Green.
    Joshua Shaw

25. Joshua Shaw

Joshua Shaw

Here are some pictures for ya... With some good "things" to look at..

[​IMG]

Smooth Aluminum in the forground.. Stained Wood on the 55 chev. The wood looks cool and can be used, but make it thick and HARDWOOD!

[​IMG]

Along with the good looking lady, look at the dark scratch "marks" on the push board. I was driving this truck, this day.. You can see the height differnces between cars. The high one was close! Bigger is better.

[​IMG]

Here's the view.. Its killer!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Dad got to push the Gratiot car this day...

[​IMG]

Oh... And if you do push. Be ready to "Hurry up and WAIT!" You do a lot of sitting around. But its worth it!

[​IMG]

And this picture is just BAD ASS!!:D plus, check out the "Round end tubes" sticking out. Some have a cool "roller ball" in them. It helps.

[​IMG]

26. Joshua Shaw

Joshua Shaw

one more thing.. Make your bush board REMOVABLE.. My dads truck will over heat on the highway with his board in place. Not enough air can get by it..

JD

27. Tom davison

Tom davison
    from Phoenix AZ

Ivo did it in style at the '65 nationals at Indy......brand new Caddy with fueler-matching metalflake orange paint and torque-thrusts!

[​IMG]

28. Conder

Conder

Tom, you have the best pictures on earth! (No doubt your stories match them) and thanks Corn Grower, I'm printing out your posts...

www.condercustom.com

29. yekoms

yekoms

Another big thanks to corngrower. Great info...
    Smokey

30. Conder

Conder

Stole this from wdifl...

Attached Files: