Register now to get rid of these ads!

Purpose-Built Autocross Hot Rod ?????

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by the-rodster, Jun 4, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

I'm thinking some IFS-IRS and wide stickies.... hmmmm

Attached Files:

• ce1.jpg
      ce1.jpg
      File size:
      76.2 KB
      Views:
    • ce2.jpg
      ce2.jpg
      File size:
      65.6 KB
      Views:
  2. metalshapes

metalshapes

22-Max_20Balchowski_20and_20Fred_20Vogelprinted.jpg

asa1-1.jpg

asa2.jpg

asa3-1.jpg

asa.jpg

Buick%20v8.jpg

etceterini%201954%20pebble%20beach%204 s.jpg

Max%20Balchowsky%20%2032.jpg

Max%20Balchowsky%20const[1]..jpg

3. driversroad

driversroad

The Lotus 7 replicar is the way to go. I too too have been kicking it around. Here's something I found at a import car show. Owner said it weighed around 1500lbs, had a mazda four cylinder. Low center of gravity, wider than needed tires and about 300 horse would easily whoop anything in the old car class and probably challenge some of the muscle cars.

One of these days I will do one.

4. flamedabone

flamedabone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The sticking point in building a traditional hot rod that handles well is always going to be the front suspension. The I beam front suspension that "we" like so much leaves alot to be desired and is no competition for an independent front A arm set up.

So, it really comes down to do you want to run an I beam and be slow, or an ugly set of A arms and whup that guys ass?

Good luck, -Abone.

5. metalshapes

metalshapes

I did..

HAMB09.jpg

6. kookee

kookee

While perhaps not as traditional as some may like, I would consider it just as traditional as the competition.

Fiberglass 32 over a tube chasis/cage, TT straight 6, and AWD. I bet it would scoot around the autocross without much greif.

[​IMG]

http://www.hotrod.com/featuredvehicles/hrdp_0905_1932_ford_coupe/index.html

Perhaps I may have jumped the gun. What are the rules for the autocross? All pre-55 components?

7. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

A bone... Dominator has a twin I beam front end and I think someone like Fat Man or Southern Rods sells a split beam deal (like an Allard), too. How about a straight tube axle from a sprint car with torsion bars? I like the air bag / 4-bar deal on my pickup, too. Lots of travel and adjustability (in theory). Gary

PS and before the trad police arrives, there are quite a few older threads on the HAMB about sports rods, small and alternative engies, better suspensions, etc. This isn't new terrirory, eh? To keep it under wraps, perhaps we need to spell HAMB in lower case - be a hamb-crosser! Gary

8. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

9. metalshapes

metalshapes

Dominator?

Do you mean the Eliminator?

That one has a uncut V8 60 axle.

MeinersEliminator.jpg

10. (BlueOval)

(BlueOval)
    from Slo-Cal

You've already won in my book Bro!!!;)

11. RodStRace

RodStRace

Attached Files:

12. B.A.KING

B.A.KING

funny you should bring this up.i've been givinng serious though to a ( ot i know) 72 vega with a 301 short stoke big bore,lightweight stuff in the motor .just for this. found a 66 corvair with a old mid engine kit/adapter in it.gotto be light i know. guy came in with the vett this year at 2400lbs don't remember how he did tho. rich look me up in bowling green we'll talk some more.wish i hadn't sold the 55 austin healy now

13. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Sorry for the confusioin... I meant the twin axle deal developed at Dominator Street rods but it is now sold / mfg? thru Flaming River. Here are three alternative / semi- traditional front ends I know of. Gary

http://www.flamingriver.com/index.c...ategory_id=-1/home_id=-1/mode=prod/prd349.htm

http://www.fatmanfab.com/catalogpage.php?page=22 "vintage IFS"

http://www.cenpen.com/traditionalairorder.htm air ride front axle. The one I used on my 27 build. I think it's great, despite the 4-bar look that some detest.

14. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

One last thought... Before I started my 27 truck, I approached Stalker cars to see if they would modify one of their chassis to fit an old Ford. Sad to say, they weren't interested. But for 10K it isn't a bad kit. They also use the 3800 SC GM V6, which makes for a peppy little ride. At least I "liberated" that idea and used one, too. These V6 Stalkers are amazingly quick, use a lot of GM parts and are made in Sarasota, FL. Gary

http://www.bruntonauto.com/

15. Kevin Lee

Kevin Lee
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Independent I-beams huh? No thanks. :)

[​IMG]

16. edweird

edweird

17. NotNuRodz

NotNuRodz

you want to build a car to win some tires?

I'm sure thats not the only reason, it would be run to have a good lookin hot rod that could actually make a corner haha.

18. metalshapes

metalshapes

I completely misunderstood.

Sorry about that...

19. metalshapes

metalshapes

Yes.

Before it was yellow.

20. primed34

primed34

The blue roadster belongs to Lowell Grooms. Home built car that gets driven alot rain or shine. Lowell has been driving autocross or what we used to call streetkhana for nearly forty years. He's looking for competion.

21. logride

logride
    from CB IA

Interesting topic. I've pondered the T idea myself before, a zetec motor would be great. I rented a focus with one before and it did the smokiest front wheel drive burnout i've ever witnessed. It was at 7 grand the whole time. I've got a Lotus seven kit car myself(handles like it's on rails) It's very competitive for the little money that's in it. I got beat by two thousandths of a second at the GG autocross. The guy that beat me was running a corvette motor, chassis on something called a dragon kit. I've got a 2.0 Ford and a little 2'' square tube frame.:D

Attached Files:

22. shmoozo

shmoozo
    from Media, PA

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing. Maybe one of these.

THE SUPERSTALKER ( Supercharged )

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

23. ScottV

ScottV

I love the X-Bow ... rumor is they are going to produce a street legal for USA version !!! (I know it's OT, but this is eyeball flatening fun !!! :p)

24. Roadsir

Roadsir

25. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Indeed... now how the heck can you get a 32 coupe body on it! Gary

26. Clark

Clark

I'd like to build a car that could run decent in that type of event.

I think a modified like 999 should do OK. Keep it low. Maybe a sbc with an automatic just to make it fast and not have to deal with the shifting. Keep the wheel base a little shorter than 999 for quicker turns. Brakes? I figured drums would be good enough. Tires? I wanted to try bias....hell it would be fun to make the tires holler. If they didn't work I wonder how the Excellsior's would work. Maybe they would sponser the vintage class :)

Who has done it? Is a clutch car OK to run? I've never watched it just seen the pictures and it looks fun.
    Clark

27. Warpspeed

Warpspeed

28. See http://www.youtube.com/user/Soelvsuper for on the track video's

Actually it's a Volvo drivetrain... a 5-cyl turbo. I have an OT '99 Volvo V70R AWD that is nearly the same setup. Mine has a RICA tuned ECM, bigger downpipe & exhaust, intercooler, etc., etc., etc. as well as a lowered suspension, bigger sway bars, blah, blah, blah. Out of the hole it isn't "fast" (I'd say 0-60mph is a tick less than 6 seconds) but it pulls pretty hard from 40-100mph+ and it's really a heavy dam'n car... a brick if you will. For a "fambly truckster" it's fun. :)

[​IMG]
    (winter tires and wheels... :rolleyes: goes in the snow)

I think Drive Em's car would be a hoot on the track with some stickier rubber...

Another car that just came to mind... QuadraDuece
    http://www.summitracing.com/newsand...?StoryId=e505ccf1-a614-412d-b747-d4aa9f66a74a
    I'll be darned if I can find any pictures of it with it's original paint job though... I could've sworn it was purple and yellow???

Last edited: Jun 7, 2010
    A Boner likes this.
  29. brandon

brandon

if i ever get the thing on the road , it will be beat on thru the curves......about 1500 pounds (figuring heavy) 4 banger / 5 speed / 4.10's and about 4" off the ground.......will probably have some more inner cage work added before its finished....pic is from about 8 years ago.....:rolleyes::D

Attached Files:

30. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

My dad's done it a number of times just for fun. Anything goes, bring it and run it. Last time I knew there were two clases, vendors cars and everyone elses.

Of course I had fun in Dad's '56 Olds BUT riding the course in this couldn't have been beat. This guy gave me the ride of my life. Just wish it would have lasted longer.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.