Register now to get rid of these ads!

pump gas in a Nitro motor

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Doc., Aug 30, 2008.

1. Doc.

Doc.
    Member Emeritus

Hey guys, what would happen if you put pump gas in a motor set up for Nitro? I don't mean to run full out. Like if I have a car set up for Nitro and I want to just bust it off every so often, would it hurt anything if I didn't have any Nitro handy?

Doc.

2. Relic Stew

Relic Stew
    from Wisconsin

I don't think it would run without changing the injectors or carbs. Nitro's stoichiometric air/fuel ratio is 6:1, for racing it is often richer. Gasoline would just flood the engine at that ratio. Methanol should be ok.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2008
  3. gas pumper

gas pumper

I'm thinking start on a gas squirt bottle and run on methanol.

4. You will be way too rich to actually drive it. If you just want to warm it and make noise, use a small tank to hold gas and feed it into the injector or the intake somewhere. If this is injected, make sure you have fuel in the tank to lubricate the pump or it will fry in just a heartbeat.

5. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Can't speak to nitro specifically, but when I ran methanol I always ran some gas through after racing was over to flush the methanol out as it is so corrosive. Don't know if the nitro guys do that or not.

6. KeithDyer

KeithDyer

Other than the injector nozzles being nine times too big, the o-rings in the system will swell up and go bad.

Gas and Oil need buna-n, Alky and Nitro want EPDM o-rings.

Put you an alky drip system together with a ball valve to run it on for a short while. Lean it with the ball valve til it idles good.

Don't whack the throttle or it will hiccup and lift the blower (if it has one)!!

K

7. Doc.

Doc.
    Member Emeritus

Thanks guys.

Doc.

8. yule16met

yule16met
    from Hudson, WI

I know that in a 2 stroke You would get detonation! Gasoline burns faster.
    Meaning the explosion will completely fire before the piston is at TDC causing a lot of wear and tear and the motor would sound horrible. You could try 110 or higher gasoline but I wouldnt go with pump gas.

9. Doc, I wish I had this problem!

10. lolife

lolife

Compression ratio on a nitro motor is very high. I'm going to guess maybe 6 to 8 more than your typical gas engine. Detonation :p

11. btmatt

btmatt

No disrespect, but at what it costs to build and maintain a nitromethane motor it seems that your builder would have told you that you cannot run it on gasoline alone.

By "nitro", do you maybe mean nitrous oxide? That would be a completely different discussion.