Register now to get rid of these ads!

Pulses per revolution S-10 T-5 tranny

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 48bill, May 2, 2006.

1. 48bill

48bill

My friend just installed a 1989, 4 cylinder, S-10, T-5 tranny in his flathead powered 31 ford roadster. The T-5 replaced a 47 truck tranny with a mechanical sender to the speedometer. The T-5 has an electrical connector for an electronic speedo. The Stewart Warner techie tells us we need to know the output in pulses per rev in order to get the right electronic speedo.

Can any body help?

Thanks.

48 Bill from Connecticut

2. coryw

coryw
    from Omaha, NE

I'm assuming it works similar to a 700R4. In a 700R4 (and there are plenty of people on here that know LOTS more about them than I do), there are two gears that are matched with the tire size and rear axle ratio in order to get a constant pule per mile. I think that number was 4000 pulses per mile but I'm not sure. Since you're not running the S10 tire size or S10 gear ratio most likely yours is going to be off from the stock S10. I'm guessing what the SW guy needs to know is how many teeth on each of those gears along with your tire size and gear ratio. On the 700R4 those gears are color coded to make things a little easier. Or maybe I'm just not understanding the question. Hope it helped and if not at least I bumped it up for you.

3. 50flathead

50flathead
    from Iowa, USA

If you have not already bought your speedo/gauges, TPI Tech has a one push programing button so you can program your speedo to whatever drivetrain setup you have. I'm suprised SWs don't work the same.

4. Vergil

Vergil

I checked with Classic Instruments about the same question and their response was
    "Our electronic speedometers will work with a GM electronic output, we just need you to use a converter box (we would supply)."

5. OLDSKEWL61

OLDSKEWL61

to find pulse you need to hook up the two wires from the vss in tranny to an oscilascope

6. Roupe

Roupe

Old post but does anyone know the number of pulses per revolution?

7. bobscogin

bobscogin

8. Roupe

Roupe

Thanks, that answers my question.
    If anyone wants to know its 40 pulses per revolution at the tail shaft for a S-10 T-5 transmission.
    For me with 31 inch tires and 3.50 gears that equals 2278 rpm per mile at the tail shaft X 40 pulses per revolution equals 91120 pulse per mile.
    With this number I can program the number of pulses into the electronic VDO speedometer that I installed inside my '50's vintage police speedometer. I should now be real close. I hope to check the accuracy in the future with a GPS.