Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Proper Disposal of Old Gas

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by mlagusis, Nov 11, 2015.

1. mlagusis

mlagusis

So I have about 6 gallons of gas in the tank of my Edsel that has been sitting for two years. Just about have it road ready again and am wondering what are the best options for getting rid of the old fuel. Any ideas?

2. stimpy

stimpy

drain the tank on your DD to 1/4 and then pour it in then top it off with premium , ( chevron , mobil or BP Gold as it has lots of fuel detergent in it ) thats what I did with a car I was working on , the victim ( 96 pick up truck) didn't act up at all burning the old starting to varnish stuff up .

clem likes this.
  3. mlagusis

mlagusis

Not a bad idea but my daily is a diesel truck so I would not be able to do that. I wonder if I will to fill up the tank on the Edsel with new premium gas and run it with the old fuel, if that would cause problems.

4. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Bubba1955 likes this.
  5. If you have a local recycling center they will take it. HRP

6. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

A match and a soaked pile of wood would be the cheapest solution. Or you could find a Hazardous Waste site and pay. Or you could just mix it in with the good gas of your everyday driver and run it. Just small qtys at a time.
    I wouldn't mix it in a small engine like weed whackers or lawn mowers. They are way too finicky.

7. mlagusis

mlagusis

Thanks guys. There is a recycle facility near my house. I will call them and see if they take it.

Bubba1955 likes this.
  8. Most any recycling center will cost money. Just drain into gas cans and then use up small amount (2-3 gal) per full tank of fresh gas until it is gone.

clem likes this.
  9. BJR

BJR

Mix it 50/50 with new gas and use it in your lawn mower.

10. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

One Porsche shop I worked in hired a young know-it-all wiseass kid that told the old German shopowner he was working on 'high mileage' for his '58 36 H.P. VW bug.
    I conspired with the service manager to take young Rick out to lunch...
    While they were gone, I added 4 gallons to the VW tank...
    A week later, young Rick got another free lunch and 2 more gallons...thanks to Yours Truly.
    The old VW didn't have a fuel gauge, so Rick was driving it on the main tank until it sputtered, then he'd kick on the reserve lever, stopping when he could to record mileage.
    The monthly shop meeting came around, and the old man asked Rick how his experiment was coming.
    Rick was anxious to state he was getting 64 Miles per Gallon! The old man fired him. (re-hired him the next day, but Rick was adamant about his figures...I bought him 2 gallons a couple more times, just to keep him confused.

If you have anyone you'd like to 'hoodwink', this is a great way to do it.
    But, if you do too much at a time, the smell of varnish will make anybody within 20 feet of the exhaust cry!

slack and clem like this.
  11. stimpy

stimpy

if you have a safety kleen facility near by sometimes they will take it without charge since its a small amount ( mine will but its the refinery ) but call them first ..

12. winduptoy

winduptoy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Star Tron enzyme fuel treatment will turn the old gas back to useable condition and you don't have to dispose of it other than burning it in the car that it is in. It has worked for me and I was amazed how well.

http://www.starbrite.com/en/startron

13. clem

clem

I use it in my farm motor bikes, but that was like 8 years old.
    For 2 years old I would leave it where it is and use it.
    Perhaps dilute it as others have said.

14. clem

clem

How many years would that take to get rid of it???
    Average lawn size....... Probably 10 years......

15. If you leave it another year it should be in prime drinking condition. Serve as you would a fine red wine.

16. squirrel

squirrel

I would not put it into any engine that I want to keep....the varnish is not good for intake valves, etc.

17. 2 Years? Just use it.

18. blackanblue

blackanblue

No charge here at the hazardous waste facility aka the dump

19. Pour it on an old couch and burn it in the back yard while drinking moonshine. Thats what I do but this is Virgina. ...

tb33anda3rd and 2racer like this.
  20. Use it-- with a putty knife and parts cleaning brushes-- to clean nasty greasy parts.

21. stimpy

stimpy

depends on part of the country you call average my lawn is 5 acres , or should I say 5 gallons of gas . I am looking into sheep ...

clem likes this.
  22. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

I would bet there is two year old gas in my 61 Dodge. I can't remember the last time I drove it. I would just get in and go and not worry about it.

anyone who suggest burning gas in just about anything other than a motor is some sort of idiot. what the fuck are you even thinking?

23. And you could have a big bonfire. HRP

[​IMG]

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  24. BigDogSS

BigDogSS
    from SoCal

Yep, fill it up with good gas, add fuel treatment and go!

25. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1447285351.684384.jpg

Yep. Save it for the burning times.

squirrel likes this.
  26. mlagusis

mlagusis

It is a fresh rebuild on the engine so I do not want to risk it. I will drain it and drop it off at a recycle area.

27. My neighbour is a dick , i'd put it in his car

big duece, clem and tb33anda3rd like this.
  28. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

Must be a small average in your area. I burn at least 1 gallon every time I cut my grass, sometimes 1.5 gallons. 6 gallons might give me 4-5 cuttings.

I would use it for parts clean up, pouring on ant hills and yellow jacket nests [real fun to pour it down the hole then toss a lighted rag at the hole and listen to the bastards fry!].
    It wouldn't get wasted around here by taking it to some recycling place, I'd recycle it myself! But then, I'm not PC anyway!!!!

29. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

:D Hope you like sheep poop, you'll have plenty of it.
    Myself, Ill just stick to the lawn mower.
    You don't need sheep, just a great big mower.