Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Project War Wagon

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Leon Sandcastle, May 15, 2014.

1. Since I have a 1954 Studebaker wagon and all the basic parts for a gasser and no one is interested in buying the car to build I figured that I might as well take it on. I am going to build the car and name it The War Wagon since Studebaker started out selling wagons to the military. I am going to use the new radiator, 41 Ford front axle assembly, and the rear axle I have in the shop and get a good small block and transmission.
    I would like some photoshop work to help me visualize the idea. I was thinking blue with gold letters, no front bumper or nerf bar bumpers on the front, delete trim, steel rear wheels and mag front wheels, and anything else someone wants to do to make a nice 60's style car.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

Attached Files:

2. AHotRod

AHotRod

If I may share another option with you.
    Before you chop and cut to build yet another Gasser inspired car, seriously consider doing it as a Jr. Stocker. At least this way when someone comes along and is interested in buying it, they won't walk away because it has been cannibalized .
    Take a look through the huge NHRA Jr. Stock thread here on the HAMB for tons of inspiration.

koachwerks likes this.
  3. How would you set it up? I am curious. (Not being smart mouth, it's hard to tell on here)

4. How would you set it up? Curious as I wanted to do a 60's era drag car and although gasser has a cool appearance, you are right about it being overdone.

5. AHotRod

AHotRod

60's era can be a few different ways depending on the time frame you choose.
    If your not interested in being perfectly "Period-Correct", my emagination goes wild.
    Are you planning on painting the car?
    What is under the hood now?

6. It's got the flathead six with 3 plus O/D trans. It's still the original car. I'm not looking for perfect, but solid street car that may hit a track. I wanted to go blue like it the photo of the restored car above but put The War Wagon in gold on the side.

7. AHotRod

AHotRod

Here are examples:
    6-21-08192.jpg

6-21-08192.jpg 55_NOMAD-LYDE_WAGERS_WOMPIN_WAGON.jpg

749963gd0.jpg

8. Any ideas on the power plant and trans? I like the idea of Jr stock, but I was thinking about the limitations of the flathead six.

Last edited: May 15, 2014
  9. AHotRod

AHotRod

More examples:

55_NOMAD-CHICKEN_MAN.jpg

10. AHotRod

AHotRod

This is where you have to do what you can and have to.

11. I think maybe it would better as a gasser, but some of the Jr stock cars have given me some ideas too. I'll check the front suspension but I may still go straight axle.

12. AHotRod

AHotRod

here ya go ..... img571.jpg

13. I think I can make my car look a little bit better looking. It's kinda cool though. Mine is kinda using the fact that the Conestoga was the model name for my Studebaker, and since studebaker started out building and selling wagons to everyone, including the military before, during, and after the civil war. Hence "The War Wagon".

14. PackardV8

PackardV8

The Studebaker V8 was very competitive in the lower stock classes well up into the 1960s. Google "Chicken Hawk" to see how Ted Harbit had several NHRA Nationals class wins.

jack vines

15. I was thinking studebaker v8 but finding a good one is getting tough. Wish I still had the 427 truck motor I sold a few years back.

16. Could someone please photoshop the studebakers to match my initial description of what I intend to do... I would be ever so grateful.

17. AHotRod

AHotRod

Put your pictures in the HAMB "Photoshop" thread and ask real nice :)

18. Can't find it now...

19. AHotRod

AHotRod

20. Thanks!

21. PackardV8

PackardV8

Not at all. How many do you want?

jack vines

22. Here is a rough idea of what I am thinking... sorry for the crudeness. The war wagon.jpg The war wagon.jpg

23. What do you have and how much?

24. Mike VV

Mike VV
    from SoCal

Leon -

While a Stude 259 or 289 shouldn't be too difficult to find, true speed parts will be.
    Too bad you are getting sort of a late start here. I had roller cams and adjustable gear drives made up for Stude racers.
    Actually I have one adjustable gear drive left.

There are adapters to adapt GM transmissions to the Stude engine.
    There are a couple of us that have spent too...many hours porting Stude heads to get the most out of them also.

Head over to the Studebaker Racing site - http://www.racingstudebakers.com/foo/index.php
    You should be able to get enough info to "really" make your head swim...!

Have fun.

Mike

25. I may go small block chevrolet just to ease the headache of finding speed parts. The rear axle is from a late model chevrolet.

26. Mike VV

Mike VV
    from SoCal

yea...on one hand, Chevy's are everywhere.
    On the other hand...they're is a reason for that..!

With a Chevy, it's pretty easy to from mild to wild with parts in just a couple hours time.

Have fun, looking foward to seeing your progress.
    Here's one of mine.

Mike

Attached Files:

27. Nice wagon Mike

28. Thanks to The Moose this is the concept I am going for.

Attached Files:

29. AHotRod

AHotRod

That will look great!
    Personally, I would use a different front wheel, like a 4" or 5" wide steelie or a Cragar SS.

30. I was thinking some old cragar ss wheels