Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects [PROJECT] Laidout53 Part II

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HarborKustomSpeedShop, Oct 11, 2010.

1. SICBOY

SICBOY

2. moparmonkey

moparmonkey
    from NorCal

Awesome work as usual!

I don't know if it will help or not, but this is picture of the incomplete chop on my '53. It was set up as a 4" vertical chop, so 4" out of the back and a little more out of the front to account for the angle of the posts.

[​IMG]

3. thanks guys, really wanna start on this chop but i need to fix the saggy drivers door first any ideas on how to fix it? heat the hinges??

4. are the hinge pins in good order? if so you can put a 2x4 under the rear portion of the door and try jacking it up, or put another long 2x4 from the floor to the 2x4 that is under the rear of the door and lift up to tweak things around a bit. Depends on how strong (or rusty) the bottom of your door is. probably not the best description, but I'm tired......;)

5. moparmonkey

moparmonkey
    from NorCal

The issue is probably the hinge pins. They wear out and cause the door to sag. There's a little adjustment in all the bolts holding the hinges to the door and cab, you could also try loosening them a little and then trying fiddle with the door fit. But my guess would be the hinge pins

I found this over in the Pilothouse section of the P15-D24 forums, part number for a hinge pin that fits. Its an old post though, I couldn't find the part # on the napa site. You'll probably have to take the number in and have them look it up in the book...

Full thread here

*****Update!*****
    The actual GM part number is 6271989. A quick search on eBay showed up a bunch of hinge pins and hinge pin repair kits.

Other OE numbers may be 20046147, 20429500, 9712804, 9721917

Used by GM from 68-96 for GM cars and trucks, including corvettes.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2011
  6. I've not checked on this thread in a while. Must say coming along nicely. Wish we could have seen the bed on with the cab and front end. If I'm getting this impatient, I can't imagine how you're holding up. It's none of my business but that rendering you did of the chop, to me it looks like a little too much. Think it over good, maybe ask for some photoshop help. Maybe try 2,3,4 and 5 inches vertically and then decide. Easier to change your mind now than after the chop is done. And remember, sometimes less is more.

7. thanks guys

Moparmonkey thanks for the part #, however the pins look in good shape but i should still replace them. Any other ideas on how to fix the doors if new pins doesnt help any??

thanks

Justin

8. moparmonkey

moparmonkey
    from NorCal

Justin-

If the pins are in good shape, then you probably need to "adjust" the door or hinges. Bud alluded to this in his post, but the Dodge shop manual actually describes how to fix various alignment issues using a block of wood placed in strategic places. You can "spring" the hinges up or down by doing this, or even un-warp the door.

I'd try to describe it, but I have a hard enough time trying to follow it from the manual. Check out this here, the pages I posted below are there in larger format (easy to read and scaleable)

In fact, most of the shop manual can be had here

Attached Files:

9. cool thanks for the info....

Heres a picture of the door sagging, in the picture you can see the upper body line doesnt make that of the rear of the cab? You can see the dents above the door, i think something hit it or someone ran in to something and pushed the door down in the rear. I can take a better picture tomorrow if need be...

[​IMG]

Thanks

10. moparmonkey

moparmonkey
    from NorCal

No problem! :D

Hmmm. I don't think those dents are causing your problems. I know you said the hinge pins were ok, but that looks a lot like the pins are causing the door to sag.

Is there any play in the door? The driver's door on my OT Dodge Dart looks exactly like that. If you lift up on the door you can pull it up into position momentarily. That play tells you the pins are worn out, pretty common for the driver's door.

If there's no play at all in the hinges though, you may need to "spring" the lower hinge as described in the pages I posted. That will lift the lock side of the door up.

It doesn't look like the door itself is warped based on the picture. Just looks like the hinge isn't hanging the door properly. My guess(es) would be, in order, 1. Worn out hinge pins, 2. worn out door striker/latch, 3. warped hinge (spring the hinge).

11. Ok thanks, ive tried to pick the door up and cant get it up enough to line up so ill try to spring the lower this weekend and see what happpens.

thanks again

12. Oh my god! That's just freakin' fantastic work! You are plain and simple a genius with a welder and you have a great eye for detail.

Klaus

13. Thanks alot dude, ive been called lots of things but never a "genius"....Haha

14. sr808

sr808

Very nice work! I like the gussets on your c-notch.

15. Well i got the door fixed and started chopping the top. I went 4" in front and 3" in the back. Not sure if it needs another inch or not? what do you guys think...

Anyways here are the pictures of the chop so far.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

tops off

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Post cut down

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Cut the door tops off so i could see if it needs more chop?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

What do you all think?

Justin

16. resqd37Zep

resqd37Zep
    from Nor Cal

Looks Good man! Keep it up.

17. moparmonkey

moparmonkey
    from NorCal

Looks good to me! I spent a lot of time figuring out I needed to chop it 4" in the front, think it came out pretty good.

I am interested to see how 3" in the back works out, and how the angle makes it look. I dropped mine 4" vertical front and back.

18. looks good, after you add back the upper door frames, you will see that the front windshield opening is large compared to the door glass openings, I ended up dropping my windshield opening down another inch and a half to make it look symetrical. When I cut mine, I cut below the rear glass, but it's all good. Nice work as always.

19. ironandsteele

ironandsteele

I'm liking it with the chop! Go man go!

20. thanks guys

Thanks, I cut the rear window out so i could keep it full size and drop it down to match the side window. Not sure if im going to mess with the front window.

21. Wow, I just saw this thread, and I must say I am very impressed. That chassis is a work of art. Keep up the good work.

22. oldman2

oldman2

Chop looks good, can't wait to see more.

23. Thanks Ibanez616 and Oldman2!!

24. MorMetal

MorMetal

I'm am amazed at your skills. Your a true Artist in the world of fab. (and it's a smaller world than most of us want to believe.)

Rock on !

25. northerndave

northerndave
    from Badger MN

Damn!!

Just, Damn!!

26. I wouldn't go any more on the top. It'll start looking cartoonish if you go any more. I do see what the other poster was saying about the windshield looking big once the door tops are back in place but I don't know if I would want to get into messing with the windshield either. Truck's looking good, I think I'd finish what I had started.

27. Well i got to work on the chop this weekend, got the rear window tacked back along with the inside supports in and the cab corners fitted as well as got the passanger door top put back together, had to hand make the filler peices but in all it turned out to be a productive wekend.

Top split in half

[​IMG]

Used screw jacks to support the top

[​IMG]

Back window

[​IMG]

Inside supports done (not pic of the other side)

[​IMG]

Cab door jams filled

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Cab corners

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Door frame fillers

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Whatcha think?

Justin

28. looks good, if i woulda thunk about it, I would have sent ya an extra upper door frame I had to keep from having to manufacture all that stuff. I still have it if ya want it for the other door. Bud