Register now to get rid of these ads!

Progress from the one car garage - new pics of my coupe

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Kevin Lee, Mar 6, 2009.

1. Mr Haney

Mr Haney

thing looks like a time capsule from the day. all buisness comp coupe, diggin it

2. Kevin Lee

Kevin Lee
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Camera is broken but managed to snap these with Photo Booth on my MacBook. At this point I have most of the major metalwork done. Still a patch to do on the driver's quarter and the passenger door needs some work, but I got the back of the roof finished - a pretty big deal to me. If you go back and look at the first of this thread it looked good, but down at Austin we went through a few options and ended up with something better.

I was super paranoid to do anything with the roof since I had so much trouble with oil canning before. I don't know who followed the story but we went from some cut up Model A panels, to something wheeled from fresh steel that we weren't happy with, to this perfect solution - a couple of '41 (or '48?) front fender tops.

So I managed to get everything welded in correcting any problems as I went. Sometimes a weld would cool and create a low spot so I would hammer the weld and bring it back. So all welded and finished with no issues.

Attached Files:

3. Chris Casny

Chris Casny

13 feet of welding, that must have been a bitch:D Looks "real" good.

4. flamedabone

flamedabone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I was driving down Broadway the week after the Drags thinking about your little car. If I knew where you lived, I would have done a pop-in.

On second thought..maybe it's better that I don't know where you live...

The little car looks bitchn'.

-Abone.

5. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

WOW!!! Looks GREAT!! You're a terrible tease though! I can't wait to see more of this car!

6. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Perfect!!! Looking good Kev and getting close.

7. SUHRsc

SUHRsc

looks good!!

8. Django

Django
    from Chicago

9. Looks GREAT kev! Amazing that it went from that stitched together frankenstein of 40 parts.

10. Lookin good Kevin!!The use of the 41-48?fenders great idea.

11. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

Looking really slick! Glad to see updates

12. Reggie

Reggie
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Looking good Kevin!!

13. Kan Kustom

Kan Kustom

Kevin, I am the guy that was talking to you and Fritz at Fritzs house Sunday when we were both looking at Roths Mega Cycle.I didnt realize that this was your car or you would have not gotten out of there for a long time.I posted on here earlier that your A is awesome .I had saved pix of it in my computer.I think its the coolest thing done to an A body in years! Dennis

14. Looks great Kevin!!

15. Kevin Lee

Kevin Lee
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Hey thanks. And thanks everybody for the good words.

I was looking through some old pics a few days ago. I remember making the decision to build this – I would tell someone what I was doing and get that response. They wouldn't come right out and tell you they thought it was dumb, but you knew it's what they were thinking.

All I can say is I knew what I wanted when I started and I'm happy with where it is. I think a few people finally got it once I got everything roughed in, and I'm sure a few people still think it's dumb.

16. Tuck

Tuck
    Tech Editor
    from MINNESOTA
    1. Early Hemi Tech

it said...
    page 6 of 6 with 6 highlighted... ha.

hey... those ford 8-N tires look good with the tractor knobies cut off... just like Burt Monroe! hahaha... j/k

its looks RAD dude.

17. Be better if he wasn't so stingy and artsy with the pics!

18. SinisterCustom

SinisterCustom

Fuckin' tits man........

19. Kevin Lee

Kevin Lee
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Yeah, I'm the "World's Fastest HAS BEEN".

So do you have those special whitewalls with the break-away tread yet? Are you running those so you can quickly shed some rotating weight as you "walk the dog" with that antique pig of a transmission?

20. Tuck

Tuck
    Tech Editor
    from MINNESOTA
    1. Early Hemi Tech

A PIG TRANNY?
    like lipstick on a pig?
    Sounds like something T-man would handle... ha ha ha-
    You know Trents Republican...

I'm gonna get those re-capped pass you on the road pie crusts and tout how dangerous they are... that way I'll be sure to score points with the Shockabilly[TM] crowd... Its on!

Get the lead outta your pants and start spreading it on the roof... poser.

21. Both you guys have fun with those antique trannys. I will keep this pile of 39 boxes ready to ship out to BFE for ya'all.

22. Tuck

Tuck
    Tech Editor
    from MINNESOTA
    1. Early Hemi Tech

OH please do... I pay extra for the swan shifter... :p ha...

23. bobbleed

bobbleed
    from Awesome

Holy shit dude that looks great...... too bad its so Dumb. haha

24. Kevin Lee

Kevin Lee
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Here's a shot right before I made it completely stupid. Maybe a greaser with a Henrob still could have saved it at this point?

Attached Files:

25. Like Virginia Slims, you've come a long ways baby. ;)

26. Fuck, I've gotten that look a time or two before! Cars looking good. I think the story on your taking it to Austin is one of my favorite threads ever. I read that sucker over and over, and the pics were great! Who ever thought a 59 Ranchero and vintage trailer would look soooo good :D

27. Brahm

Brahm

Car looks great, and quite the inspiration. I'm building mine in a one car garage as well. I've had my doubts about how feasible it will be, you've definitely helped me keep my spirits up. Great job!.

28. Kevin Lee

Kevin Lee
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Floors are next. Here's a quick test piece from 20ga. Final piece will be 18.

Sheared 1 7/8" wide, bent 90 deg and run through the shrinker to fit the contour of the frame rail. Will be clamped right above the fillet on the boxing plate and welded in place through the holes. Floor panel will in turn lay on top of this and be welded to the flange in the same manner. (holes will be punched in the floor panel)

Plenty of room left over in there to add secondary flooring to satisfy SCTA down the road.

Attached Files:

29. hiboy32

hiboy32
    from Omaha, NE

Damn, that looks good. I am glad that you had the vision and the guts to TRY to pull this off. It make the rest of us look lame, some of us can barely piece one back together using stock parts and dimensions.

What gauge is the floor gonna be? shouldnt the the floor and the floor mount flanges be the same?

I think that the plan on the floor build is gonna rule. Strength and simple. Did you figure out a method for making the strengthening ribs in the floor pans?

Keep a camera handy as you work.

Jeff

30. manyolcars

manyolcars

Please tell us how much you chopped it.