Register now to get rid of these ads!

Progress from the one car garage - new pics of my coupe

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Kevin Lee, Mar 6, 2009.

1. Kevin Lee

Kevin Lee
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Haven't been in the garage as much as I want so progress is a bit slow, but here's a quick list.

Have the inner structure of the roof done. All 1/2" square tubing and bent to follow the contour of the skin. Very minimal and plenty rigid.

Also... finally mocked up my pedals, steering, and seat. Room to spare inside this thing.

Have the roof filled and finished out the front corners last night. Donor panels for that came from an A sedan and were reworked with hammer and dolly a bit.

One more picture coming.

Attached Files:

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  2. coupster

coupster
    from Oscoda Mi

I didnt really like the "look" at first, now I am love'n it.

3. Kevin Lee

Kevin Lee
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Another shot of the chop.

With the windshield raked so much the back of the turret looked squashed backward. So I cut the entire back of the roof off right behind the quarter windows and leaned it forward. I think there's a careful balance needed here to keep from thinning the C pillar too much or just ending up with a weird non-Ford looking roof. The change in inches is not huge but it completely changed the look of the roof. Finished it off with filler strips right above the beltline to fill the pie-shaped gap.

If I ever chop another car like this I would consider cutting the entire back of the roof off first. I'm thinking this would save a lot of relief cuts and welding.

Also rounded the rear corners of the quarter windows with bottom corners from a donor window. The contours fit perfectly and even the tapered reveal around the window lined up. Still have some work left to even out the window channel.

So everything is tacked in place, all of the major cuts done and all the big holes are filled. From here it's all welding and grinding.

I'll post more pics when I get it completely welded and stripped to bare metal.

Attached Files:

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  4. mogara

mogara

Awesome. The quarter windows look great. Some Model A chops result in the quarter windows being too pointy in the C Pillar area...your's isn't.

5. chaddilac

chaddilac

That thing is gonna be wicked! I love it!

6. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

Man, what a profile.

You're doing nice work! I kind of like the Frankenstein stitch welds... I think I'd have to run it like that for a year. :D

Keep it up...

7. hrm2k

hrm2k
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That is sweet. The roof is just awesome.

8. NoSurf

NoSurf

Dude- that looks so good.

However. the first pic. the car looks so smooth and streamlined- the gas tank filler on the cowl looks like a big anus...

9. xderelict

xderelict
    Member Emeritus

The profile is killer.

10. That thing has a sinister look to it...that'll scare the little kiddies when you rull up next to their rice rockets at a red light

11. Kevin Lee

Kevin Lee
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Haha. That will definitely be filled at some point.

12. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

Very nice.... especially that side profile shot!

Malcolm

13. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Profile is fucking Boss Kevin! God, do I dare say that the Chrisman Coupe profile doesn't touch your own. I think your car is going to shake the earth when finished.

14. blackout

blackout

Race car look. Keep at it.

15. Bass

Bass
    from Dallas, TX

The coupe is looking bitchin' Kevin!!

That profile shot gives me a good reference for doing the chop on Lindsey's car....it'll be similar but still a little different. You're killing it over there in that one car garage!

16. Django

Django
    from Chicago

Good call on the back panel. That totally makes the roofline.

17. Oh MAN!!! That is beautiful!!
    You got the sheet metal talent and the "eye" for what looks right. ;)
    I gotta learn how to weld.:(
    Keep the progress pics coming.:D

18. straykatkustoms

straykatkustoms
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Very Kool!! Love the Bonneville style chop. I've not seen one chopped
    like that before. Keep it up and please post more pictures when ya can.

Happy Trails,

Mick

19. Kevin Lee

Kevin Lee
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Thanks for the compliments.

I need to thank Alex. (metalshapes) He has given me advice here and there and it is always spot on. He gave me some tips for fitting the roof filler and it is probably the best fitting panel on the car because of it.

I had also been staring at the back of the roof trying to figure out where to cut it, and happened to mention it as we were talking about other parts of the car. He said. "Just cut it completely off and put it where you want it." Perfect.

I'm going to try to get it back on wheels and out of the one car garage soon. It sucks standing the back yard in the middle of the night staring through the garage window to see how it looks from different angles.

20. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

We make due with what we have. Some dudes (me included) couldn't pull that off if you gave them a ten car garage. A humble beginning to what looks to be an incredible car. It definitely will have soul.

21. NealinCA

NealinCA

Leaning the rear of of the roof forward was a good move. I think that even 32 3w's need that done when chopped. That and fixing the 1/4 windows make this one a winner. The Chrisman coupe has always been an icon for what it is...a RACE CAR...but I've thought the roof looked like ass from an aesthetic point of view.

Keep those progress pics coming. At this rate, you'll have two on the road before I'm done with mine...

Neal

22. Ya know Kevin I've been giving this some real careful thought, and I've decided I don't like it one bit, I do like it 2 bits though. :D

As usual you're takeing a sows ear and makeing something of it. When do I get a ride? Hell just let me sit in it and make varooom varooom sounds.

Keep on keepin on my friend.

23. SinisterCustom

SinisterCustom

Fuck oh dear!

That looks so much better than I had ever thought it would.....

This car is going to be SO rad!
    Nice job Kevin......

24. -Brent-

-Brent-

Unreal! I'm along with the others that love how you handled the rear. A subtle modification that works completely!

Great work.

25. Chuckles Garage

Chuckles Garage
    Alliance Vendor

I love it! That chop is out of control!

26. C. Montgomery

C. Montgomery

I know I've seen it somewhere, where's the post on you putting that windshield frame in and how you modified the doors? I can't find it. Bad ass car btw..looks awesome.

27. Awesome work!

28. Mean as hell looking! Great work I can't wait to see it back on it's wheel and outside.

Look on the bright side of things at least you have a window to look through I'm building in a one car garage no window and a driveway that has about a 25 degree slope to it. Makes it very difficult to judge anything on. HAHAHA.

29. I love the side shot through the garage window, the preportion's look spot on.

CBB

30. general gow

general gow
    Staff Member

jeez, that does look great. and i really think the change at the back made a huge difference. this will be a car that people talk about for a long time to come. not that there's any pressure...

Last edited: May 22, 2009