Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration Print Dead

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by notrod13, May 4, 2015.

?

is print dying.......

Poll closed May 14, 2015.
  1. Online via computer , tablet, or phone

4 vote(s)
    10.0%
  2. sit down , take a load off, take a pull, and spread the pages

36 vote(s)
    90.0%
  1. notrod13

notrod13
    from long beach

2. coupe33

coupe33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Print has to specialized today. At one time I averaged a hard cover book a week but over the last ten years I don't seem to have the time. I still read a few magazine stories but thats it.

3. partsdawg

partsdawg
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Minnesota

Still buy printed books
    Still read a real newspaper daily.
    I may be a dinosaur,the two above will continue until my end

wojojo and i.rant like this.
  4. Not dead, but more specialized, and pricier, like Rodders Journal. I buy books in both formats. Newspapers, I pay for on line access.

5. jetnow1

jetnow1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from CT
    1. A-D Truckers

Newspapers are fading fast as their readers die off for the younger generation never learned to
    appreciate them. Magazines are the next thing affected as more and more is on the internet
    the need for magazines fades, and they do not work well on phones/tablets/ laptops. The
    quality magazines that are reader driven as opposed to advertiser driven are the only ones
    that have a long term solution. I download a lot of novels into my e-reader but would never
    consider doing so for anything with pictures or technical drawings.

6. As long as the magazines target a proven market that the consumer is annal about they will survive for years to come but when they start trying to add fluff like the newest fad that comes down the pike they are destine for demise.

Long live titles like Hop Up & Rodders Journal. HRP

7. And Traditional Rod and Kulture, Kustoms Illustrated, Traditional Kustoms, Rolls and Pleats....

TraditionalKustoms and notrod13 like this.
  8. notrod13

notrod13
    from long beach

ditto!!!!! all good tittles!!! and the Lot!!! Screen Shot 2015-05-04 at 8.19.13 PM.png

9. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

I spent a good part of my evening reading Traditional Kustoms magazine. I also spent a good bit of time right here on the HAMB. They both have what I am interested in, which is the "why" part of how I spent my evening. I think when print magazines lose their way, they lose their readership. When they focus on a particular niche and have a quality product, they have viability.

TraditionalKustoms likes this.
  10. thommoina33

thommoina33
    Alliance Member
    from australia
    Staff Member

I thought the same, long since given up on the periodicals, to much advertising, late model street rod stuff, TRJ was the only one I purchased. Well my eagerly awaited hop up mag arrived yesterday, what a great read, no crap, great write ups, all quality. I can't wait for for the latest instalment of the jalopy journal.

I suppose print is dead for some but it's opened the door to those who get it, where the almighty advertising dollar doesn't determine content.

11. I liked Barracuda

12. flthd31

flthd31

Stone, cold dead.

13. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

It's interesting to note that the common thread of the anti-print brigand involves advertising. On the other hand, four out of 13 posters are Alliance members that don't see the ads the non-members seem to tolerate. Makes one wonder.