Register now to get rid of these ads!

Previous owner bitching

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Dr_X, Sep 10, 2010.

1. silversink

silversink

Can't get close enough to your enemys.

2. Doc Squat

Doc Squat
    from tulsa, ok

You have to understand there are dickheads all over the world. Check out my avatar.

3. 46mercury

46mercury
    from livonia MI

I've sold a few cars to "flippers" who put in a little marketing time (and very little work) and doubled their money. Good for them. I wanted to sell quick and I did. I don't understand complaining.

I even sold more than one to the same guy. He finally lost $100 on one of the cars. I'm glad he did OK.

4. ShiftyRat

ShiftyRat

You cannot argue with an idiot. They bring you down to there level and beat you with experience!

I loved the story about the reversed main cap! I could just picture that guys face when you fired up that engine.

5. Rebel 1

Rebel 1

To many idiots in this world.

6. Hearseville

Hearseville
    from Gulf Coast

Always remember *You Can't Fix Stupid*

7. captain_crud

captain_crud

Done flipping cars for a while?!?.....WHY!?? That woulda gave me some warm, fuzzy feelings seeing that! Seriously, I think I would have smiled and asked "why'd you offer it up so cheap?" or...."I'll betchya won't do anything dumb like that again!" or "yeah, you kinda f***ed up on that deal, didn't ya?" I'd let him know straight out that it was HIS f*** up and YOU (or whoever else it would've been) just stepped up to the opportunity.

Dudes like this are a bit weird in my book and I tend to avoid them. And honestly, guys acting like this just....doesn't seem....too manly. Seriously.

BTW, I bought a car recently (and got a SCREAMING deal on it...:)) and I'm kinda getting that same vibe from him. But it's okay, I won't be seeing and/or dealing with the guy anymore. It just so happens that he's got some extra parts for the car that I'm going to be taking off his hands for dirt cheap also.......dude just doesn't know what he's got and hasn't the patience/desire to research it, so.....

*P.S. If a previous owner starts reading you the riot act that you "ripped him off".......just make sure you let him know you would've GLADLY paid 2 1/2 times more than you did.....lol..

Last edited: Dec 25, 2010
  8. There is a reason some animals eat their young !! Maybe with that in mind some of these problems would never be..haha!

9. Stevie Nash

Stevie Nash

Somebody kill this thread, the guys a winer...

10. gc427

gc427
    from SoCal

As long as you didn't hold a gun to his head as he accepted your cash you are in the clear.

I hate people like this that have no real reason to bitch, but still do!

Tell him to go piss up a rope.

11. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hell, I've had guys buy stuff at swapmeets from me and take it back to their stall and mark the price up several times over what I sold it for and I didn't give a rip.

A friend has a right to be pissed if he gives or sells you something for cheaps to help you out with a project and you turn around and sell that piece right a way.
    A seller who got his posted asking price doesn't have a gripe coming no matter what the outcome.

12. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Tough Shit. Its expensive to be stupid.

13. cobrajb3

cobrajb3

you just cant fix STUPID:eek:

14. Landseer

Landseer
    from VA

I used a different approach on a car last summer that a friend had driven for a few years --- I wanted it, it needed some repairs he couldn't do, his wife wanted it gone.

1st: Offered to fix it free in his driveway. He declined

2nd: Asked a price / which he established.

3rd: Gave him the money with a bill of sale that says three things. 1) I never publicly disclose the (low) sales price. 2) I never part the car ( he added: under normal circumstances) and 3) on sale, he has first right of refusal at original transfer price, plus any upgrades outside of maintenance.

Call it crazy. We did it.

Then, he helped me pull the trans and fix it (odd situation / slight frontal impact had jammed the trans past a detent, and in-between gears. Fixed it with a brass drift and a tack hammer.)

4th: After reinstallation and road test, offered to resell to him at original price.

He declined. If he said yes, I would definitely made-good, regardless of what he then did with the car.

The friendship is preserved, the car transfered to me at a discount, and I get the enjoyment of driving it. He used the funds to buy a special car, taking his participation in the hobby down a different path.

All this said, I agree with EVERYBODY that says buy, fix, flip and be happy. I do it too. This was just different and worth mentioning. Sometimes the hobby is just about the relationship.

Not necessarily often, just sometimes.

Last edited: Dec 25, 2010
  15. 85930tudor

85930tudor

Hey you bought at his price he could have said no. what can you say.........YOU CANT FIX STUPID!!!!!!!!!

16. ADVANCE1

ADVANCE1
    from Ohio

are area has two different publications that came out at different days of week, was looking at a car that was 3200.00 and he had been trying to sell for awhile, I thought car was worth 2000 and told him so but ended up paying 2800, on way home from picking up car I bought other add paper and there it was for 2000 (when I first called him about car he had asked me what add I seen it in, of course the higher price one, it did not dawn on me why he was asking, lol) I could have saved a 1000 bucks if I had seen other paper, after all was said and done I thought good for him on negotiating the deal and was happy with car and have had fun with it, needless to say I buy both papers when looking at cars in my area now.

17. 54pumpjack

54pumpjack

Off topic Lets talk hot rods instead!

18. ADVANCE1

ADVANCE1
    from Ohio

O stop it, this thread has been going on for 3 months let us have or say, it is about cars isnt it.

19. basicbob

basicbob

Best sign I've seen: We cheat the other guy & pass the saving on to you!

Sure like the comment: He paid the idiot tax. Bob

20. HELLVIS

HELLVIS

21. gsport

gsport

just the opposite happened to me... sold a 64 malibu with a LT1 in it, the kid blew it up within a week and called me trying to get his money back...
    buy low sell high, that's the nature of the game... doesn't always work that way though.

22. R Frederick

R Frederick
    from illinois

You didn't buy the truck from a freind or relative did you? Things might be a little different if he sold it to you cheap thinking he was helping you out because he thought you liked the truck a lot - only to watch you sell it a week later just to make money.
    I've painted cars for buddy's for next to nothing just because I thought they were really into a car, only to watch them sell the car off right when they finished it. I helped them make a hell of a lot of money was all. Makes you feel like they don't appreciate it.

23. Cowtown Speed Shop

Cowtown Speed Shop
    from KC

+1 thats funny......I am going to hang that on my wall...LOL

24. HOT40ROD

HOT40ROD
    from Easton, Pa

You gave him what he was asking. After his rant I would have said " You got any more for sale" than hung up.

25. TIN INDIAN MAN

TIN INDIAN MAN

If your gonna be dumb, ya gotta be tough.......................

26. Hogdriver

Hogdriver
    from VA

Sounds like you did what you do well and pocketed a bit of cash. I say go out and flip another truck and make some more. Good on you! You can't help it if he was too lazy to either invest his time in fixing up the truck or finding out what it was worth.

27. Idiot tax.....sooooo funnny!!!:D

28. bgaro

bgaro

next time beat em up on price a little first. the extra money will make you feel better about dealing with jokers. and like my dad always says never give a sucker an even break.

29. Convert54

Convert54
    from Oklahoma

years ago I had a 76 Mustang Cobra, fully loaded with T top.
    sweet little car. I had my fun with it and it kinda set in the garage for a number of years.
    My Nephew started looking for a car, high school age, so I told him I would sell him the car for $1.00, yerp one buck.

He drove it for a while and then decidced he wanted a PU Truck and he contacted me if I would mind if he used it as a trade in for a truck...................well, I told him, he was a grown man now (17) and he needed to do what he thought was right, but I did remind him it was his, not mine and he would probably some day regret getting rid of a unique mustang.

He still kicks him self to this day, 20 years latter, than he got rid of that mustang.............but hey, thats how we all learn right............and he is still my favorite nephew.

30. Behind every indignent previous owner bitching about being $ucker punched is a woman giving him hell about it. Now, if he is bitching about changes you made to the car...it is coming from the heart.