Register now to get rid of these ads!

pressurized cap on a flathead?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by onekoolkat1950, Apr 13, 2013.

1. onekoolkat1950

onekoolkat1950

My aftermarket radiator came with a 9.0lb cap.can i run that with stock 24 stud water pumps?

2. RAK

RAK

The water pumps aren't normally where you'll see a problem with leakage, usually it's the head bolts/studs. I have 2 caps, one is a 7lb. for summer and the other is no pressure for the cooler months. Less pressure seems to be better with a flathead so use as little as necessary to get the job done or you may see some leaking.
    Rich

3. Kiwi 4d

Kiwi 4d
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It more depends on your radiator , the top tank is the first to let go if its the early style large top tank. As yours is aftermarket it will be fine . We run 13lb on a 36 truck radiator. Though we run new drake pumps , no leaks for the last 3000 miles.

4. hombres ruin

hombres ruin

7lb works fine, i run a aftermarket rad and the 7lb cap does the job

5. flatoz

flatoz

14lb cap with a blown flathead, runs cool on the road and is good in traffic too, although sometimes I have to turn on the fan.

The higher the lb pressure on a cap the higher the boiling point. Which really should be a good thing with a flathead! But it all depends on the radiator and cooling systems capabilities.

Conversely I run a 7lb cap on my original 55 olds radiator with 455 motor and it runs too cold, I'm struggling to get it to show 1/4 on the temp gauge that's with 1/3 radiator covered.

6. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

On my last couple of FH powered deuces I ran Walker radiators with 7 lb caps.