Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Pressure plate dilemma

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bobhdus, Jun 14, 2020.

1. Bobhdus

Bobhdus

Will a 11” clutch plate with the three finger style pressure plate etc, (all new) from a 1974 350 SBC fit on a 292 flywheel (from the same years)? I’m swapping out my 350 sbc temporarily to a 292 (From a C10) Which has the 11” diaphragm style and I’m unsure if it’s suitable for this old P3500 breadtruck. Both are using an SM465. But I hear the three finger style is more heavy duty than the diaphragm style clutch pressure plate system... Thanks!

2. Wrench97

Wrench97

There are a lot of if's but yes it should fit, check the spline both should be course(10 if memory serves). The 3 finger could be a heaver clutch but not necessarily it depends on the designed clamping pressure, for normal use either will work the diaphragm type giving easier pedal effort. If you are running say a P3500 overloaded a lot then I would want the heaver duty finger style as the stand up better to heat and abuse(slipping on take off for example).

Bobhdus likes this.
  3. Remember to match the throw out bearing to the pressure plate used.

Bobhdus and Rex_A_Lott like this.
  4. Bobhdus

Bobhdus

Awesome! I’m gonna go ahead and swap them then. Thanks for the tip!

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

5. Bobhdus

Bobhdus

Got it all together and it’s running perfect. Thanks for all the help!

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

TrailerTrashToo likes this.