Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Presley & Driver's Education

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Ryan, Nov 25, 2020.

1. jnaki

jnaki

Hello,

We spent countless hours driving around in my small station wagon when our son was little. We never got a ticket, nor did he see us bad mouth the police. So, when he passed his driver’s education class, it was my responsibility to take him around practicing and learning the rules of good driving. We put on hours every day after school and went all over So Cal coastline, inland in winding roads plus, freeway speeds to Oceanside and beyond.

While we were diving, it was not a lecture, but suggesting ways to constantly stay in touch with other cars on the road. Driving with a circle of space all around us was the key. Looking at the rear view mirrors for changes in traffic and patterns. Then staying in a lane that does not make others irritated at the speed. We can control ourselves, but not those crazy people always in a hurry. Just overall, watching for people that are lane changing a lot, people who tailgate and those that just don’t get it while enjoying what they are doing.

We have always like cars and early hot rods/drag racing. So, it can be applied to our daily drivers as a way to continue the “AT ONE” with the car and enjoy the short or long road trip. So, after a daily trip afterschool for a couple of hours, adding in running some errands to his choice of places, comic book shops, grilled burgers and fries stops and a gently cruise on little used roads made the after school driving pleasurable. These places were "his" cruising grounds, so he needed to get familiar with the different routes to get to them.

Jnaki

The time spent with our son was fun and it was a “together” time that will go down in family history. So, about 30 years later, it was time to do the same technique with our granddaughter. But, this covid pandemic put a stop to that. So, it was up to her mom and dad to show their daughter the driving they learned from way back. Both of them are not “car people” and have no clue as to the unique-ness of the old car culture. But, they are doing their best to tell their daughter what they learned.

My son has told me many times that stuff I used to tell him is/was easy to remember and his years of practicing from 16 to the time he got his own car was used to practice what he learned from me. So, now, 30 years later, he is showing our granddaughter stuff he learned from me. Well, that is what has to happen since I cannot spend time in our car with our granddaughter during these locked in times.

But, thinking back to when we used to cart our granddaughter all over So Cal for beach days, park lunches, just fun times going to places that we enjoyed and that her parents would not be taking her anytime soon played a big part. During those times I know she was listening to “words of wisdom” coming from me. We know she remembers as the main outlet from her house community has a blind spot both ways when crossing the traffic to make a left turn or even a simple right turn. 95% of the time it is a dangerous left turn.

So, every time we were at the stop sign, “look left, then right, then look left again for stragglers or parked cars coming out…then look right one last time before going out into the crossing lanes to make a turn,” was heard. A year ago, she remembered that slogan and when she was driving with her mom, mentioned it to her and then the next time we saw her, she told us of those practice days with her practice driving and keys that she learned from us. Well at least it had some influence.

Now, to think about a safe car for her individual driving needs... We all think about a Sherman Tank for our kid's safety, but these days... Although a 2 wheel drive pick up truck is the lowest in insurance rates, that is another story. Hmmm, my wife has already set her eyes on another AWD, more powerful, small station wagon. So, her 8 year old 50k station wagon might take a trip to our granddaughter's house when it is time.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. My now 14 year old has his learners permit! And, he wants to work on a project.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  3. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

:D Hi Jnakie.Great post.Thank you.I just try to remember what my old flight instructor told me.Keep your head out of the cockpit and watch your six.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo

jnaki likes this.