Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Prepping the Crestline

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by MrPhat40, Feb 2, 2020.

1. MrPhat40

MrPhat40

H.A.M.B.er's
    I have decided to update my 40 Ford coupe to a more 50's image. Recently I decided to purchase a Limeworks Crestline wheel. This steering wheel is arguably one of the best deigns coming out of the fabulous fifties era, but let's leave that discussion for another day.

After my trial fitment and horn ring fiddling everything lines up, fits nicely and the horn blows with an easy ring push. It is now time for paint.

My plan is for base/clear GM Indian Ivory (comments?). So it is prep time; I called Limeworks and spoke with Dave. He was unclear exactly what this wheel is made from. It appears to be some sort of heavy resin material coated, almost dipped with a thick gray. He suggested using 400 to lightly scuff the wheel for paint.
    Upon close inspection this wheel is going to need more than a light scuffing. It has several pin holes, a number of "nibs" and a cater near one of the webs at the wheel center. Actually I was a bit disappointed as to the quality here as I spent up for this wheel? I have included pictures to see what I am asking about.
    What would you guys recommend I do to prep before it goes to a local MAACO for the actual painting. (They have done some decent work for me in the past).
    Could I use some pin hole glaze to fill that crater or bondo? What grade would you start with and finish before paint.
    What primer would you use prior to the finish coat?
    As always I appreciate your incites, comments and even tongue in cheek remarks.
    MrPhat 40

Attached Files:

2. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

I guess I wouldn’t be thrilled with the quality either, but up to the individual wether to go forward or return and demand an replacement . You could use an epoxy to fill as well and maybe not have a crack surface later. Best to talk with Marco related to what product exactly they will use and then use compatible primer .

3. oldiron 440

oldiron 440

You might want to start with a P400 sand paper to start with before sanding with 400.
    I use a polyester glaze like Evercote to fill pinholes, if you fill before sanding the P400 will level the glaze.
    Good luck