Register now to get rid of these ads!

'Preffered cooling systems' - Radiator Vs header tanks?

Discussion in 'HA/GR' started by Drewfus, Nov 2, 2006.

1. I thought I'd throw out a line asking for your opinion as I'm considering just having a type of header tank system/loop on my 8BA powered HA/GR.

Most of the cars I notice are running some version of a radiator(with a thermo), which is fine, and I imagine there might be a couple who have a bit of both, but depending on who you talk to, and most of the serious drag racers suggest that I just make a header tank system that can hold about 5-10 litres.....(plus what ever is in the block).

But I'm not convinced, I don't want my 'fresh' motor getting hot, or risking possible damage, and logic suggests that I need as little weight as possible (hence minimum coolant desired), but I don't really want an ugly radiator either...

Your thoughts?

Cheers,

Drewfus

2. Mr. Mac

Mr. Mac

This is our second year with experimenting and we learned the flatty don't like high temps. So we (much to our dislike) added a small very lightweight radiator laying down with a small electric fan. This way we can control our engine temp when staging the car which is very crucial. Buy the time the car is pulled back to the pits the engine is cooled down and ready to go again.

3. I've just had a fresh look at your arrangement....correct me if I'm wrong but you're not running a water pump (with a cycling circuit), so effectively its now just a closed block with the water volume being partially cooled? where are your entry/exit water points (ie the 2 lines that co from the cooler towards the rear of the block)?

Keen to see more if possible...

Thanks in advance,

Drewfus

4. Mr. Mac

Mr. Mac

We run duel electric water pumps one for each side of the block. Threw the heavy stock pumps away long ago.

5. So am I to assume that you do infact have a 'circuit'(as opposed to pumping the water into the block where it has nowhere to go), where by the water goes into one side of the block from the cooler, across the upper link (where the cap is), back through the block, returning to the cooler? or am I totally off track, as the linked section at the top has got me stumped....

Cheers,

Drewfus

6. Mr. Mac

Mr. Mac

How about,this weekend I take some pics of the water system and post them here.

7. Mr. Mac

Mr. Mac

Drewfus, Here's the pics of the cooling system on the Ramrods dragster,hope these will help.

Attached Files:

8. Sweet, thanks for that.

Cheers,

Drewfus

9. REJ

REJ
    from FLA

I am running a radiator system on mine for the same reasons Mr Mac gave. I figure that with the staging, getting ready to run down the track, and coming back down the return road, there would be the possibility of the engine running hotter than normal.
    I am running a small radiator with an electric fan mounted to it.

10. ThingyM

ThingyM

I bought a small aluminum radiator(from a small Honda, Iam told) from the local swap meet for $20.00.With an electric fan.. and I had a deadenbear water pump from long ago.I'm sure it will have to have a thermostat in it, otherwise the fluid will flow through the radiator to fast to even cool the water down. Aint these a kick in the butt????

11. BRENT in 10-uh-C

BRENT in 10-uh-C

Now for my thoughts ...(which don't mean squat!!)

I am going to build a O/H Banger powered GR when/if Ryan gives the O.K. For me, I am going to build a vehicle that "looks" like it could have been run in the mid-fifties. To me that means I need to use cloth-braided wiring, era guages & switches, non-stainless braided fuel lines and etc. Even the required tail lamp needs to be from the 30's or 40's.

Now do not take this the wrong way --or that I am saying my way is the right way and yours is not BUT to me, the "Spirit" is to have era looking equipment. I feel that statement means that electric fans, aluminum radiators and etc. are outside of the original intent of what his class stands for. I will say that I had thought to build a cooling loop system where I can use a two-wheel dolly with radiator mounted on it, a battery and electric fan, & pump, long hoses and fittings that could be connected to cool the engine if the need arose. It would be seperate from the car and could be considered more of a support item like a battery charger and hydraulic floor jack, instead of it being an integral part of the car. Thus at any moment someone photographed the car, it could look like a period piece.

Also, I have viewed these cars as "exhibition cars" that would have plenty of time between "laps" down the track. Are there plans to make back-to-back passes where charging systems, cooling systems, and etc. are necessary?

12. REJ

REJ
    from FLA

I do not plan on running a charging system on mine, hopefully I can charge it in between runs if necessary. You are only using the battery to run the motor with no additional draws except for the tail light at night. I have driven a street car for 20-30 miles at night with no alternator and had no problems.
    I was at the HAMB drags in 05, the HA/GR's were running pretty steady and I figure that the more that show up, the more you are going to want to run?
    I can not see building a motor for one of these and making toast out of it. I plan on running mine at the local track when I want and I know that at test/tune days, you can pretty much run any time you want. I will be running a radiator on mine for that reason.

13. Mr. Mac

Mr. Mac

This is why we do it because of test and tune,and to keep the eng the same temp. We did it the first year without a radiator and was waiting 45min for the eng to cool down,thats to long. At the Hamb drags you can run every 5min if you want to,for at least 3hrs before eliminations.
    If you look back through so of the old Hot rod mags from the early 50s some of the rails were running radiators.