Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Prefect / Willys /Kadett Gasser Build.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Mitchell Rish, Jan 6, 2015.

1. Mitchell Rish

Mitchell Rish
    from Houston MS

Line clamps and mounts

Attached Files:

2. Mitchell Rish

Mitchell Rish
    from Houston MS

Should bleed and set/adjust prop valve this afternoon

loudbang and mad mikey like this.
  3. Mitchell Rish

Mitchell Rish
    from Houston MS

About 7 inches behind the chunk. It gives plenty of clearance. Even if a coil over were to fail.I run hard-lines and then the flex line per side for travel and caliper movement. I do not like the third rubber line in the center. Had one that we could never get to seal at the T. And the rubber line looks like crap in or around the chunk housing or they do to me.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2020
    loudbang and Gammz like this.
  4. Looks top notch .:):cool:

loudbang likes this.
  5. Mitchell Rish

Mitchell Rish
    from Houston MS

Ok been shop cleaning and checking inventory. All of this week. Should finish by end of week. Plan is to build two engines next week. One for the Willy’s. One for the Prefect Have all machine work /parts. It’s time. The clean up had to be done. You know it’s like when you have been collecting things for 40 years and now you don’t remember what it fits type clean up.
    This is that kind of clean up. Micks orders. A cleaning I have been. Lol. Shop gets bigger every time. Lol
    I will repeat at the small shop at the house. 57 is fixing to disappear for a while as i use it as my day gig sanity relief. Hard to be believe I did two ground up race car builds in there I wouldn’t bet my lawn mower would fit as of right now. It’s time

mad mikey and loudbang like this.
  6. Mitchell Rish

Mitchell Rish
    from Houston MS

Willy’s engine assembly starts. Probably some of the nicest pieces we have ever had. Block will require some clearance grinding. Let’s just say this is Micks favorite combination. Got really nice parts this time. I bought an extra set of cheap bearings for mock up assembly etc. I am known for such. I ran hand grenades as a younger person but our bottom ends were never our problems. We had great machinist and an ability run everyone else’s cast offs. Worked pretty well when we didn’t have the money.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 10, 2021
    blownhemi48, mad mikey, enloe and 2 others like this.
  7. Mitchell Rish

Mitchell Rish
    from Houston MS

Rotating assembly in and clearancced. Cam check and then time to disassemble /wash/final check of plugs/ etc and start then get ready for final assembly.

Attached Files:

8. Mitchell Rish

Mitchell Rish
    from Houston MS

Completed block prep. Soapy bath/ threads chased/ galleys flushed/brushed/chased. It was cold to day. Glad the water was hot. Freeze plugs /galley plugs installed. Main studs installed. Considered it a fair day. They are looking for snow by Monday. Hope they keep it somewhere else.

Attached Files:

blownhemi48, mad mikey, enloe and 3 others like this.
  9. Mitchell Rish

Mitchell Rish
    from Houston MS

Rings gapped /checked/assigned to bores. Pins pistons/rods cleaned/checked wrist pin locks and put bottom rail spacer in.
    Getting ready for final assembly.
    Nothing photo worthy.

10. Mitchell Rish

Mitchell Rish
    from Houston MS

Rotating assembly in for good. Cam /gear drive /cover oil pump and pan next.

Attached Files:

11. Looks nice. Clean stout build.:)

loudbang likes this.
  12. Mitchell Rish

Mitchell Rish
    from Houston MS

Crank and rods torqued. Cam, gear drive,front cover, and fuel pump drive all installed. Front hub/balancer installed.

Attached Files:

blownhemi48, mad mikey and loudbang like this.
  13. Mitchell Rish

Mitchell Rish
    from Houston MS

Looks like I get to pull it back off. Gotta check and make sure there isn’t to much clearance so the idler set up can’t walk out and self destruct. We have always used a stock style cover in the past. Which was always pretty much a drop in. With the extra bling comes the extra work.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2021
    loudbang likes this.
  14. Mitchell Rish

Mitchell Rish
    from Houston MS

Got the idler stop for the gear drive installed. Do the final clearance check and install Monday. Been a cold busy day. Getting all the generators ready and making my last trip to Uncle Marion’s place today. Was bitter sweet. I picked up the last parts that we had a lot of stories /fun/etc with.

Attached Files:

15. Mitchell Rish

Mitchell Rish
    from Houston MS

Started thinking. I did not like the way the idler set up on the gear drive fit so loose. Even after I installed the travel limiter. I know there have been a million made and sold but I immediately felt better when I put a true roller /cloyes on it.I have never had a problem with with them. Easier now than after in the Willy’s.Not like you can see it under the Enderle cover. And it still looks the same Simplicity. Simplicity. Simplicity. Seems I am over thinking stuff again.

mad mikey and loudbang like this.
  16. Mitchell Rish

Mitchell Rish
    from Houston MS

Enderle timing cover and hub back on for good. Note to self always check and make sure the factory chamfered the aluminum hub as much as the factory balancer. Makes life a lot easier. And a little Never Seize in the key slot is a good idea. A little seems to go a long way. That stuff seems to multiply.

Attached Files:

17. Mitchell Rish

Mitchell Rish
    from Houston MS

Bottom buttoned up. Studs in and Clayed the dome/head etc to double check dome configuration to chamber. Gonna be pretty nice.

Attached Files:

18. Mitchell Rish

Mitchell Rish
    from Houston MS

Heads on. Wound up having to remove some flash from the bolt holes in the heads. Was enough the dowl pins didn’t line up with out using a fair amount of force. More than I liked so they got cleaned up. I am not into forcing things to line up and fit with anything more than a rubber hammer.

Attached Files:

19. Mitchell Rish

Mitchell Rish
    from Houston MS

Had to re machine timing tab. Also measured for pushrod length. Gotta order them and we-are gonna run a jomar stud girdle. Always felt better with aluminum heads running a stud girdle. Cast iron typically doesn’t require them usually.

Attached Files:

20. Mitchell Rish

Mitchell Rish
    from Houston MS

Gonna wind up running 8.1 push rods, but the stem/ roller marks are perfect. I may gently relieve the bottom of the rocker near the retainer. A folded piece of paper pulls through with out binding /touching , but I would like more. Don't really want to drop a valve because the locks came un keyed due to interference.
    Ran into this years ago on one of my BBCs.

21. Mitchell Rish

Mitchell Rish
    from Houston MS

58838593-52EF-4A0B-8A90-77B726419792.jpeg Tubes need to be cleaned and snake skinned. If I don’t like that I’ll paint them black to match the valve covers. 5DB38EF6-9118-4F12-9CF2-9C2693C7660B.jpeg

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 11, 2021
  22. Mitchell Rish

Mitchell Rish
    from Houston MS

Inventory for the Prefect engine. These came in. I wasn’t willing to risk number seven with a sloppy top ring land. I have done it in the past but just decided not to.
    Am still looking for a single trw 2210 af or bf by new number. Would give me a spare set. No one would sell a single so I just decided to not risk it.

Attached Files:

23. ROADSTER1927

ROADSTER1927

I would machine the groove and put a spacer under it. Gary

24. Mitchell Rish

Mitchell Rish
    from Houston MS

If one doesn't show up, I am going to machine the top ring land on all of them to an 1/8 and be done with it.( I have had equal luck with the 1/16 or 1/8 or even larger). I am not the biggest fan of spacers. We all have used them / pretty common in some older inventory but I have always thought of them as another weak link. I don't mind some skirt rash/ even top of the piston( used a lot of pistons that had damage on them when I got them , but the ring lands were always good). - I have bored more than one engine to a used set of pistons. And yes your thought process is correct and push comes to shove -I might have to do just that. .

25. GlassThamesDoug

GlassThamesDoug
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I looked my best, Did not see any at Carlisle Pa Spring swap meet. A few rows had tarps during snow storm....

I had a set of TRW 12 5's. but 327 0.030, 3.25 stroke.

chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.
  26. Mitchell Rish

Mitchell Rish
    from Houston MS

Thanks for looking . SNOW - say it aint so - not again.I am not in a hurry now that I have a new set. BUT I would like to have one so this set could be complete and have a spare set.

27. Mitchell Rish

Mitchell Rish
    from Houston MS

Started on short block for the Prefect. Crank/bearings checked out very well. Trying to finish before I start my learning curve on transmissions.

Attached Files:

28. GlassThamesDoug

GlassThamesDoug
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Sounds like fun in the shop.

loudbang likes this.
  29. GlassThamesDoug

GlassThamesDoug
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

What type of trans you running in Prefect Mitch..

chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.
  30. Mitchell Rish

Mitchell Rish
    from Houston MS