Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Prefect / Willys /Kadett Gasser Build.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Mitchell Rish, Jan 6, 2015.

1. loudbang

loudbang

You could leave the clecos in to discourage "touchy feely folks" :rolleyes:

Atwater Mike, 1947knuck and enloe like this.
  2. Mitchell Rish

Mitchell Rish
    from Houston MS

I got to get the holes cut behind the mesh. That will Complete the look I think.

loudbang likes this.
  3. Mike Colemire

Mike Colemire

I was in Home Depot yesterday and seen that mesh and thought, that would work for something on a hot rod. I really like the head lights, look like they belong there. I'm glad I'm not the only one that looks around places like Home Depot and lowes looking for hot rod stuff.

Atwater Mike and loudbang like this.
  4. Mitchell Rish

Mitchell Rish
    from Houston MS

Get it as wide as you can. Then you can make it one piece. It would have been easier to center as one piece. The lights were a gift from a parts house. They had been under the counter for a few years/ even some surface rust and dings. Will be perfect after some tlc. Yep they work. Tested them before I put them on. Gonna build braces for under fenders to help support them.
    Thanks for the compliments. I will paint buckets and leave the chrome rings alone.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2018
    loudbang likes this.
  5. Mitchell Rish

Mitchell Rish
    from Houston MS

Ok got the supports/braces built for the headlights. Pretty simple actually. 1/2 tubing welded to the triple tree of the front cap. Stiffened the front cap also.
    Will clean up and prep when I pull it down for final paint. Was good to get back in the shop. Heat wave today. 66 degrees

Attached Files:

6. Mike Colemire

Mike Colemire

I've got to do something for a grille in my 40 chevy. I've got a so, so grille, may cut out the center and mount my alum tank in the center. Finish on it is crap, would have to paint it, may try to fab one but there is a lot of curves.

loudbang likes this.
  7. Mitchell Rish

Mitchell Rish
    from Houston MS

Post a pic. I may have an idea :) Take the grill and trace and make a paper patttern.Give about an inch more material than the pattern.cut a piece of ply wood for a buck and gently slap the aluminum edges around that pattern. There is about a 45-50 degree curve on each side if my memory is correct. Take a sharpy and draw until you get what you like- you can always clean with acetone and start over.Or louvers. lots and lots. Just a thought.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2018
    loudbang likes this.
  8. Mitchell Rish

Mitchell Rish
    from Houston MS

Decided to replace all the windows in the Prefect. Even the smaller back side windows.
    Might as well order new window rubber for them also.

Attached Files:

enloe likes this.
  9. loudbang

loudbang

After all this you could change jobs and do window installations full time. :rolleyes:

1947knuck and enloe like this.
  10. Mitchell Rish

Mitchell Rish
    from Houston MS

True. Lol.
    Actually worked on the last major body work to be done other than paint and prep. The rear wheel openings. Made a pattern and painted the gap difference. It has to be right seen to many hack jobs that for the same effort could have looked a lot better. Symmetry is everything and can make or break the look.

Attached Files:

GlassThamesDoug and swade41 like this.
  11. loudbang

loudbang

Neat way to get that done

12. Mitchell Rish

Mitchell Rish
    from Houston MS

Started to use the age old trick of two pencils and a string. Mick suggested /and I agree that this way I can use the paint to show where to cut and the where to add metal. Mick is actually ordering dies for the bead roller and will weld in an entire radius lip and back face metal to the parent metal.The theory is to make the wheel opening symmetrical and flow somewhat with the wheel/axle travel and not look gutted( all in one piece).This was supposed to be a really ruff car in the beginning but after the grill and head lights - all bets are off as to how rough it will really be.. In for a Penny in for a Pound at this point.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2018
    loudbang and enloe like this.
  13. Mitchell Rish

Mitchell Rish
    from Houston MS

Worked on the Willy’s today. Got one of the headlight buckets and assembly mounted and reassembled. Makes them look better with the real headlight assembly not just the lense and bezel. Oh yea they will actually work to.

Attached Files:

Atwater Mike likes this.
  14. Mitchell Rish

Mitchell Rish
    from Houston MS

Both are in.

Attached Files:

15. Mitchell Rish

Mitchell Rish
    from Houston MS

Ok. All windows are in the Prefect and Willy’s. Time to pull the back out and get ready for paint/coatings.

Attached Files:

16. loudbang

loudbang

Wow what are you going to do with all your free time when they are done? :rolleyes:

1947knuck likes this.
  17. Mitchell Rish

Mitchell Rish
    from Houston MS

That would be paint and prep. Gonna approach from inside out. Hope our approach works. Gonna use a metallic bed liner for floors and roof /inside that isn’t paneled in aluminum already. Cage door jambs and inner door will be body color which is bright shade of red. That’s the plan anyway. For both the Willy’s and the prefect. Lot more body work work on the prefect though. Time will tell.

loudbang likes this.
  18. Mitchell Rish

Mitchell Rish
    from Houston MS

I think I am going to look at using a portable /temporary carport from harbor freight as a prep/paint booth in the shop. That way I can keep the dust/overspray /and Debris for body prep to a low level in the shop. Figure Ill tape it to the concrete floor and use a shop vacc to function as a filter. Gonna look anyway.

loudbang likes this.
  19. Mitchell Rish

Mitchell Rish
    from Houston MS

Loudbang,
    To answer the other question- Bills Opel / and a possible 57 210 sedan - ( that deal isn't complete yet- and may go away - so thats not in stone) - Oh yea did I mention that I love 57 sedan delivery/wagons - ( ford /edsel or chevy) or put the edsel cap on the ford - makes a wicked looking race car.

loudbang and enloe like this.
  20. Mitchell Rish

Mitchell Rish
    from Houston MS

Ok. Cleaned shop and did inventory Saturday. After church I went back out to the shop Sunday afternoon and did inventory on engine pieces /parts. I have a lot of really nice parts from some special folks.
    I finished gaping rings. I to this day still gap piston rings rather than buying pre gap sets. Gotta get crank in and check bearing clearances etc. Nothing super intresting but it has to be done.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2018
  21. Mitchell Rish

Mitchell Rish
    from Houston MS

Ok bought some new toys to help finish the build. Needed a dependable trans jack. Also could not resist a hydraulic hole punch. Everything is libal to be on a diet. Won’t have to always use the hole saws before I flare the holes like n the past. Lots faster. I have a nasty feeling coming over me. Also got a new set of full flaring and radius dies for the bead roller. It’s going to make the rear wheel openings much neater/and consistent.
    Now the best toy. And it looks like it’s going work. Portable car port is going to be a portable paint booth. At least for the inside stuff so it doesn’t get all over everything. This is for the interior and body work etc. The final paint will be sprayed in a real deal booth. But for detail /chassis touch up and the huge amount of body work that the Prefect is gonna need I think it’s gonna cut down on the dust /overspray /etc. We are looking at putting rollers on it also.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 31, 2018
    GlassThamesDoug and loudbang like this.
  22. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

The portable canopies work well for a car this small. even built my '37 Austin in a canopy, and did all the bodywork and epoxy primer in it. But not being a painter I took it to a friend to do the final paint.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Atwater Mike likes this.
  23. Mitchell Rish

Mitchell Rish
    from Houston MS

Exactly . I just hate the clean up in the shop. I Hope the Willys and the Prefect turn out as slick as yours looks. Curious how did you light inside.Thinking battery powered LEDs.

loudbang likes this.
  24. Mitchell Rish

Mitchell Rish
    from Houston MS

Ok finally got back in the shop. Hard to see but got the door gaps at the bottom and hinge side fixed. Yes I cheated. Once I got the the crown line matching under the window and the gaps good I took a sharpy and drew a straight line across the bottom. Then cut bottom off to match. At least it’s not scrapping and it shuts and latches and looks correct. It appears the door had been kinked really hard in its earlier life. They actually did a good repair considering the time it was done in

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 14, 2018
    GlassThamesDoug and loudbang like this.
  25. loudbang

loudbang

That's not cheating it is "Creative Thinking" :)

26. Mitchell Rish

Mitchell Rish
    from Houston MS

I’ll take that compliment all day long. Just was kinda feeling guilty and Mick reminded me this is a race car not a street car. You can get one to nice to use. I’ve never been that person. If it’s a race car I am gonna use it. Lol

loudbang likes this.
  27. Mitchell Rish

Mitchell Rish
    from Houston MS

Went and had two pieces of 20 gauge. Cut 24 X48. Think I’ll bead role the lip and then cut /weld in for the rear wheel well openings. I really want a double rolled lip.
    Played with the idea of making the prefect door look like the Anglia door. The 1950-1951 prefect has the weird cap and no mold line on the door. I am toying with taking a pattern and adding that conture to the door. It’s shorter than the Anglia. It’s actually a Thames door or so I have been told. The Anglia door is longer. But it does break up the flats and blends with the cap. Built patterns and think I am gonna try it.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 21, 2018
    GlassThamesDoug, enloe and loudbang like this.
  28. Mike Colemire

Mike Colemire

Looking good, those flared holes are pretty cool. I got a friend that has the tool to do them, makes a lot cleaner look than just a hole. Around here and on craigslist, there is a bunch of people selling 8 ft LED lights for $25 each. They are nice, so if you could use extra light in your garage you could use them in the booth and then put them up in your garage.

loudbang likes this.
  29. loudbang

loudbang

Good idea and I bet VERY few people will notice the addition. :)

1947knuck, GlassThamesDoug and enloe like this.
  30. Mitchell Rish

Mitchell Rish
    from Houston MS

Ok got both panels clecoed on. Getting ready to permanently attached and epoxying the edges. Will do the final trim and attachment gonna counter sink the rivets.

Attached Files:

Dog_Patch, chop job and loudbang like this.