Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Pre-cut axle shafts

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 62rebel, Mar 20, 2020.

1. 62rebel

62rebel

Wondering if there are precut axle shafts in various lengths for Ford 9 inch? I can shorten the tube myself, but fabrication of axle shafts is something I would rather not do

2. shivasdad

shivasdad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

3. 1934coupe

1934coupe

If you have a complete 9" and can shorten the housing, you then send out your axles and have them resplined. Almost all 9" axles had enough meat to do this. I don't know of any pre cut length axles, maybe Speedway.

Pat

4. I have run both Strange and Moser axles and you can get those in any length you want.

5. Jmountainjr

Jmountainjr
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Do you know how much you need to shorten the housing? As mentioned you can get either axles cut to length or cut to fit. In either case spend a few bucks and get a dog bone tool to get your measurements correct. It doesn't always work depending on what housing width and offset you start with, but in a few cases I have been able to shorten just the long side only and use two short side axles.

6. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

Most of the 9" -28 spline axles have to be shortened at least 4" to get to where there is enough meat, 31 spline also but there is enough meat on 31 spline axles to do 28 spline once past the 31 splines.

7. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have used cut-to-fit axles, extensively, mostly on 4x4 stuff, but I see no reason that they cannot work just as well on the street. I have only seem one broken, and that was on the rear of a rig, with a big block, TH400, and a transfer case with a 10.44:1 low range, pushing 4.88:1 gears, with a locker, with one wheel, which we ended up torching off, as it was hopelessly wedged.

All of the ones that I have used came from Yukon Axle and Gear.

They have them for the 9" rear. 31-spline, 23.23" to 33.00"

Also, Ford made this axle in about a bazillion different widths. There may be an off-the-shelf, OEM axle shaft out there, which would match you needs.

62rebel likes this.