Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects PPG Shopline

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Model A Gomez, Dec 13, 2017.

1. Model A Gomez

Model A Gomez

I had a bad weekend, I'm finally trying to finish my 30 Sport Coupe A V8 and shot the body with single stage PPG Shopline. I'm painting it 1940 Ford Mandarin Maroon which is fairly dark. Shot four coats and it looked good so I cleaned the gun and quit. Went back to the garage about two hours later and noticed there was pink around the window revels and the belt line, primer showing thru.
    Called the PPG rep and had him come by, his comment was a couple of more coats would probably cover it. Six coats on a dark color is ridiculous, he brought me a small sample of Concept in the same color, stirred both and the Shopline paint stick drained off to the point I could see the grain in the wood, on the Concept after it drained off you couldn't see the grain. I was told some time back I couldn't get DCC Concept anymore but he said they didn't carry it but he could order the base and mix it for me. Quite a bit more cost but has more pigment and better coverage, guess I will start sanding again and get my DCC next week.
    Attached pictures, hard to see with the flash glare but the lighter color shows on the revel, strange it is at the bottom of the revel rather than on the edge. Out in the sun light it really shows, hate it since the car looks so good but going to have to repaint the whole thing.

Attached Files:

2. Gavin Tittle

Gavin Tittle

Damn what a punch to the gut, I get your pain to a very small degree, I let a friend of mine help out with the paint on the block in my picture, wound up with High-temp Chevrolet orange in the core plug holes....
    Good luck, sorry about that.

3. injunjoes

injunjoes

I had a similar problem with some shop line products. The base is usually ok but i usually upgrade in clear. The concept single stage is far superior in all aspects

4. belair

belair

Used Concept, really liked it. Hope the second time is the charm.

5. VOODOO ROD & CUSTOM

VOODOO ROD & CUSTOM

Shop Line is Wiesel Piss...... Not worth the headaches. No real savings !!

VR&C.

da34guy likes this.
  6. Spray out cards and tinted sealer

tb33anda3rd likes this.
  7. that paint should have a ss code for the sealer. red pigments are usually weak. what color sealer did you use?

31Vicky with a hemi likes this.
  8. After 6 coats and showing pink I bet it was a light surface. :p:D

Single stage just doesn't have the same concentration of pigments as base coat, it can't because of the clear reduction.

tb33anda3rd likes this.
  9. If shopline is anything like PPG's Omni, I have really bad post traumatic stress from Omni. Its like trying to paint a car with whitewash and get it to turn out good.....

RMR&C likes this.
  10. BJR

BJR

With most of the cheaper paints you have to use tinted primer or tinted sealer the same color as the final color. They just don't have the same amount of pigment as the more expensive paints. Ask me how I know!

11. We use a good bit of shopline at school. Haven't had this issue yet. How much did you reduce it. I do not like shop lines reducers. They don't seem to bust up the single stage as well as PPGs higher line reducers. I have to over reduce the shopline single stage when using the shopline reducer to make it lay down.

12. afaulk

afaulk

I've been painting for a long time............since 1972 and I love the Shop Line base. I upgrade the clear. 2021 lays down good. Haven't tried the single stage in Shop Line.

13. Model A Gomez

Model A Gomez

I had planned on painting the car Folkstone Gray and used light gray primer, this was part of the problem but four coats still should have covered it. The paint was mixed per the instructions, I've used Shopline before on my 30 pickup with no problems. I usually use Concept on single stage but was told it was no longer available. Later found out it is available but the local stores don't carry it due to low usage, didn't want to do base/clear since this is a 50's style car and didn't want the glassy look. Heading to the garage to start sanding today, should cover this time since the exsisting paint will be the base.

14. What does the main field look like out in the sun?
    Is that blotchy? Is that the right color or lighter be use of the lighter primer?

15. i painted a car body with omni yellow a few years back. i had used a light gray filler primer over a black epoxy. i block sanded it down and broke through in two spots to reveal the black epoxy. 3 full coats on the body and about 5 additional coats over that spot and the black still showed. i took a little grey sealer and and misted it over the spot to hide the black. the next coat of yellow hid the problem. from that point on i always find out what the ss code is for what ever i spray.
    even with a high quality paint the wrong sealer will change the final look. there is a version of british racing green ['80s?] that looks black at night and bright green during the day............but only if it is sprayed over a black sealer. over a light grey sealer it is tooty fruity green during the day and emerald green at night...........

16. Model A Gomez

Model A Gomez

The main field looks great, the thin spots are where there is a body line like the revel around the window or the beltline on the body. I have a small sample of Concept DCC from the paint rep and the label says it weighs 8.52 lbs per gallon, the shopline label says it weighs 7.98 lbs per gallon. A hair over 1/2 pound difference per gallon, the difference is the amount of pigment.

da34guy likes this.
  17. Model A Gomez

Model A Gomez

Well shot my coupe with PPG Concept today, no comparison. The Concept has 1/2 pound more pigment per gallon than the Shopline. While I was re-shooting the body I decided to shoot the dash which was primed light gray, shot a light tack coat and two wet coats, covered with no problems. Came out looking great but didn't flow quite as well as I would like, too much orange peel going to have to buff it. No more Shopline for me, costs a little over half as much but didn't completely cover after 4 coats and is a dark color.

18. If you take a picture of the color and change it to black and white, it will give you a good sealer color. Has worked every time for me.

19. pictures? :)

20. Model A Gomez

Model A Gomez

tb33anda3rd wanted to see pictures so here they are. I had taped off the inside of the trunk and when I pulled the paper it matched the Shopline. The Concept covered in a tack coat and two wet coats where the Shopline hadn't covered completely in four coats. The orange peel isn't too bad, think I will hit it with 3000 wet on my DA and buff.

Attached Files:

tb33anda3rd likes this.
  21. I won't argue that shopline is inferior to concept-No question there.
    Shopline has its place And just $3.00 worth of tint in the sealer solves the hiding issues.

as far as longevity, hold out and general durability goes,,, I've been keeping tabs on a few omni jobs, Omni is a step down from shopline, on fleet vehicles that see no love at all and are outside 24/7. They get beat to crap and still look good after 8 years or so.

tb33anda3rd likes this.
  22. mikhett

mikhett
    from jackson nj

I have had GOOD LUCK with NASON FUL-- THANE SS.

23. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

I've ditched PPG in favor of TAMCO, their clears are amazing, the primer is like srup and really covers well and the base coats ive gotten covered in 1 coat with no problem. Oh yea, and the pricing is WAY better!
    http://www.tamcopaint.com/

If you call Tammy tell her I sent you please.